March 26, 2011

Excellent Eight Mile Joy

This Saturday has been so remarkable! I am full of glee, I can't understand how God blesses us in such huge ways, when all we have ever done since the beginning of time is turn from Him and rebel. His love for us is so unconditional and infinite, and I'm so thankful! Praise Jesus!!

Okay, so why was today so wonderful? Well, after hearing Dr.Oz talk about how exhausted it makes us feel when we sleep in too late during the weekend, especially when our work-week wake up schedule is all about early alarm clocks from Monday to Friday, I decided to try and wake up a fairly humane time this morning. So when my (normal) alarm buzzed at 7:30, I watched my hubby sleep soundly, and after about 20 minutes, actually arose to start the day off calmly.

Life was tranquil and beauuutiful as I sat in the living room and scanned the torn-out pages of magazine workouts that I have collected in a one inch notebook, and peacefully picked a favorite. The winner ended up being this super simple, yet challenging, 15 minute ab workout from Woman's Health magazine.



I ended up doing the run-through only once (they say do it twice) but I felt incredibly sweaty and my abs were on fire! The good kind of fire, of course! I showed some of the moves to my hubby and he was real impressed, so he's going to add 'em to his regular morning pre-run warm up :) Love it when girlie mags give us hardcore exercises to share with the men in our life!


yes!!!

Anywhoo, I then decided it was no way going to be just a banana, almonds n' raisins kind of pre-run fuel morning. It was all about that gloriously thick slice of homemade bread, fresh out of the toaster with almond butter spread across the top. As it went through some creamy melting action, I topped it with cinnamons along with an entire banana and raisins. So rich n' delish-us! I love how long runs give me a reason to down toast before I head out, I overlook toast's true delightful nature way too often.

marathon-man Edu's pre-run eats:

muesli, banana, raisins, almonds + rice milk
half a baguette with almond butter + strawberry jam.

The day was cloudy, and there was a pretty good chance of rain. So much so, that we got sprinkled on as we walked to the truck before driving down to the lake for our run. I was nervous, since I have only run in the rain a few short times, and there was no guarantee that this run was going to be as enjoyable as the others. But I kept quiet, and waited to see what things were like once we arrived at our destination.


a lovely, gray, gooorgeous lake view!

Hubs was set out to run 25km (15.5 miles) and he, being my coach and all, told me to no longer go for 12K, but 13! So I sat there as we hunted for a parking spot, and I kept to myself, with a ghost-like terrified expression on my face, timid body language, and eyes that stuck to each runner that flew by us, wishing I were in their shoes and could run carefree, as if 13 kilometers were simply a walk in the park.


before us + distance became one.

Edu asked me if I was okay, but I couldn't say a word. I just can't remember when I went from running 4-5 miles on a treadmill or high school track, to tackling 8 miles on a Saturday morning and trying to do so at a fast, consistent pace. It's amazing to see where this running journey has brought me, and I'm so thankful to have such a wonderful husband to teach me the way and my Heavenly Father strengthening me mentally and physically with each day!


that's how we hydrate, folks! gatorade is for Edu and his long runs!

Last week I ran my first 13 kilometers, but I ran 'em slowly. I was feeling tight-legged and was curious to see if I could even last more than my usual almost-seven miles. So I wasn't really shooting for a PR, but since it was my first taste at that distance, any time would make it into the PR books! I ended up finishing in 1 hour and 20 minutes, but felt I could have moved a tad quicker. So today's goal was to do exactly that: move quicker. I started off like a speedy, crazy one, and was reminded to chill a bit when I saw Edu half way through the lap (the lake is a 3.2 mile loop) so I tried to find a comfy, yet strong n' fast pace, and finally found it!


holy bananas, batman, that's a long ways to run for lil' old me!

Edu's iPhone was my source of GPS/distance tracker, since we only have 1 Garmin to share between the two of us, and the little rectangular piece of technology decided to go hay-wire on me right at the end, as I attempted to sprint out the last kilometer, and I guess I ended up running 13.13K! Which is silly, 'cause I chopped a whole 6 minutes off last week's time even though I went a tad bit further!


check out last years' 6 mile (10K) runs!
Today I hit the 10K spot in 58 mins!


post workout eats! banana bread for Edu, cocoa coconut oats for me, fruit for each

I felt like superwoman. Let's not lie. I want to run it again tomorrow, then Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I think I fell in love with 8 mile runs today! I mean, it may have something to do with the fact that I felt good, moved fast, and broke a week-old record, but can we pretend that all eight mile runs are like that, always? I vote yes!



I survived! Give me cake?

I love how I just wrote an entire book on my Saturday morning. I'll keep the rest short n' sweet for the land of blog-readers, sorry! Cook: pizza, as quick as possible, since we work at our apartment's cabana from 5-10pm. Eat: pizza. Work: sit and read, draw, reflect, blog, 'till 9pm, then cleaning. Dessert: rice milk blended with frozen fruits, topped with rolled oats, carob, almonds, raisins, millet puffs! Sleep :)


red bell, asparagus, kale, serrano chili, gray squash.


my favorite (new) gift from edu! I love how it balances in the sink!


fresh pineapple, turkey + mozzarella for Edu, tempeh for me.


soft crust + my favorite tomato sauce.


before it hit the oven for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.


after the beautiful bake: kale chips for an appetizer


with red pepper flakes, please.


looooots of red pepper flakes!


this is how we work! sketchbook, bible, journal, good read, writing tools. I realized they would be the items I would wish for if I were stranded on a desert island, fo' sho!


a very joyful way to end a Saturday!

Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before Him with joyful songs.
Know that the LORD is God.
It is He who made us, and we are His;
we are His people, the sheep of His pasture

Enter His gates with thanksgiving
and His courts with praise;
give thanks to Him and praise His name.
For the LORD is good and His love endures forever;
His faithfulness continues through all generations.

Psalm 100

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great ab workout! I've done a couple of those and really like them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I'm glad you have your awesome hubs to encourage you on your running! You're doing GREAT Girl!!! :)

    ReplyDelete