March 7, 2011

Focusing on My Savior

Ever wake up feeling unmotivated, lethargic, kinda bum-like, not wanting to eat half a banana for your workout, not in the mood to run, with your mind wandering at rapid speeds comparing yourself to others, other runners,, other body types, other PRs? That was me at 5:06am this morning, the time I decided to finally crawl my poo-mooded self out of a snug, comfy bed.

I didn't want to embrace this feeling, though. I gave it to God, fell into His hands on the treadmill and pushed as I tried to focus on all that He offers in this life, not comparing it to what this world seems to shove in my face every day: you're not thin enough, you're not fast enough, you can't write, or control your portion sizes, you judge others, you're not strong enough, your faith is slipping away, you're doomed forever - it's all a bunch of lies! And you know what? After my run, I felt pretty good inside. God answers prayers, and He listens to them word for word, I feel so blessed to have Him, my Heavenly Father that never lets me down, in my life!

So as my mind was in pondering mode, I was able to push out 4.5 miles on the treadmill.

• Warm up (kicks, knee kicks, side leg swings, squats
• 12 push ups
4.5mi - 43:33
• Cool down (walk 0 incline)
• Stretch
• Drink 8 gallons of water



Then a delightful, warmed up bowl of coconut blueberry oats were calling my name. They were: steel cut oats, rice milk, water, raisins, almonds, wheat germ, chia seeds, almond butter, half a banana, sunflower seeds, pistachios, unsweetened coconut. It was deeeeeelicioso!



Lunch and snacks were the usual lovelies, with my new friend: fig + banana be full of vitamin boosting bars! (Yes, I did make up the name. And yes, I do realize it's a tad lengthy and could use some editting. Will get on that soon!) I am excited to sit down in front of a nutritional guru (aka: Google) and figure out the fiber/protein/carb/fat content of these guys, as well as the vitamins and such, so I can adjust as needed to make it amaazin'!




oats ground into flour, wheat germ, flaxseed meal, figs, bananas, cinnamon, almonds, vanilla, chia seeds.... the list goes on and on! Recipe soon to come :)

The main course was this fabulous tasting quinoa dish. I love the smashed almonds, the hint of garlic and onion, and the lightly cooked asparagus! This dish's flavors worked so well together, loooved it. Thank you, Heidi!



I am also amazed at my friend, Katie, who has changed her daily eats in crazy good ways during our work lunch-times. Check out her complete rainbow today! I had to take a photo to show off her raw-veg skills (with egg in the center!)


from red (middle right):
  • red pepper
  • tomatoes
  • carrots
  • yellow pepper
  • green bell pepper
  • blueberries
  • 3 eggs, scrambled + cooked in microwave.
She is truly an awesome example of how easy it is to eat a whole garden on a daily basis. She seasons 'em with salt + peppah, that's it! Love it.

Once home from work, after singing much Hawaiian music with my mum in her huge truck, I decided it was time for some good ol' bean protein (Mexican style, please) with a large load of kale chips, lightly salted. They were both very good decisions!


  • pinto beans
  • tomato
  • corn
  • fresh cilantro
  • fresh lime juice
  • homemade salsa
  • avocado
  • onion

red and green kale, sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled with salt. cooked at 350* for about 10 minutes

After cooking up like a crazy woman: veggie muffetetta and homemade chapati bread for tomorrow's lunch, I watched a little TV, whilst reading blogs and waiting for my tummy to growl a tad so that I could dive into this baby:


lemon coconut chia square + rad banana. it was true joy.

Now? Dreaming of hubby's arrival from Oregon (work sent him away from one moment to the next, even though he just got back from LA, but we're counting our blessings: he has a job, and we have a roof over our heads, no need to get mad about a little drive to Oregon land!) and preparing for bedtime, while listening to this beauty: Come Ye Sinners

I will arise and go to Jesus
He will embrace me in His arms
and in the arms of my dear Savior
there are ten thousand charms

3 comments:

  1. Isnt it amazing how God answers our prayers and calms our mids? :)
    I cant believe your hubby is gone again!! Thats crazy that they sent him off after he just got back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! God is always faithful and He answers prayers. :)

    Sorry the husband is gone again, but hopefully he'll be home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweet one - thank you so much for keeping me grounded. Sending you huge hugs… come to Virginia!

    ReplyDelete