March 5, 2011

Going the Distance: 12KM

Happy Saturdays!

Coming up this June is my first half marathon and I had no idea, 'till after today's run, how huge this is going to be! Hubby told me to shoot for 12 kilometers this morning at our favorite lake in Seattle, and I took on the challenge. I think my longest distance has been a 10.75K or something odd like that, but reaaallly jus' a mile or so more didn't seem like it'd be too tough!

At Home Warm UP:

Pardon my goofy drawings, I wanted to jot it down somehow without any knowledge of the moves' names, and things ended up sounding pretty stinkin' crazy! But I tried, so, I give you this:
  • 12 push ups
  • 30 crunches w/knees bent
  • 30 bicycle crunches
  • 30 "diamond leg" reverse crunch/toe tap
  • 40 straight-legged swimmers' kicks
  • 30 V crunches, legs staying in the airs
  • 60 seconds plank
Runner's FUEL!

Doesn't get more simple than that, folks.

Post-Run Energy:

coconut/almond butter sammie for me
jam/almond butter sammie for husband
bananas in the air, oranges in our faces, etc.

12K game face?

yeah, stoked!


Edu setting his Garmin for his half marathon run!

So all started off as usual, except the gorgeous sun was shining in our faces, all over our arms (which were covered in 2 layers, thankyouverymuch!) and it was super beautiful! We even felt a little heat, which is the first time in for-evah that I've felt actual sun saying hello during a morning run. Amazing! Anyhow, I was doing my usual just under 9 minute miles and planned to pick up the pace on lap 2 (the lake is a 5k/3.1 mile loop) and then shoot for the stars during the last 2km. But...

My legs stopped working after kilometer #10, which is normal since I have always stopped after 10k, every Saturday for the past year or so, and I guess the power in my running feet know this super well and decided to shut down. I tried to sprint, to push, to lift my legs real high and ignore any complaints, any exhaustion, any excuses. I had to get this business done! But alas, I did not sprint, but still felt pretty darn good when I stopped the watch.

12km 7.5 miles - 1:15:56

I survived! But how will I ever hit 13K? Or, you know, June 25th's 21K?! Oh half-marathon, I'm glad I don't really start my training 'till March 20th. Until then, I will be a happy-faced 9 minute-mile jogger who loves her 10K's and doesn't feel bad about it. :)

Then it was 11:00, 12:00, Costco around 1:30, then 2:00 came, we were home, and we were both starving! So after a good washing-up, and putting on the Saturday jammies, I inhaled a load of heaven before starting breakfast.


roasted/unsalted almonds + cashews, and raw pistachios!

Tofu Scramble + Scrambled Eggs

  • Corn tortillas
  • 2 eggs (hubby)
  • 1/3 block tofu (me)
  • tomato
  • serrano chili
  • homemade salsa
  • paprika, salt, nutritional yeast
  • bell pepper


woah, oh, oh, it's magic! So so good, and I love how Serrano chili burns in my tummy a tad and keeps me full for hours! It was 3pm when we finally ate this delicious beast of a breakfast, so dinner was going to have to wait 'till 6pm or later, and I had plenty of time to chill-ax before the cooking had to go down. So, I grabbed some paint brushes and went to town doing my favorite hobby: painting. (you know, the hobby I have drop-kicked to the side of the curb and replaced with cooking, blogging, and watching Dr. Oz)


this has been sitting in my closet for months, so i decided to paint over it and start anew!


My mind went blank. This is what happens when you stop doing something you love for so long: you forget how to start, how to dive in, how to do what you enjoy without hearing voices telling you that you're unskilled, not creative, boring, and your work is repetitive. This afternoon really reminded me that I need to jump back into painting! I started off with 4 partially-painted canvases at 4pm, and by 6pm I had painted over all of them with a bunch of white, pink, and black paint. I'm startin' over, friends, and it feels good inside. Then I ate an apple.



Pizza

  • kale
  • turkey
  • mushroom tomato sauce
  • fresh pineapple
  • serrano chili
  • zucchini
  • bell pepper
  • fresh mozzarella
  • homemade whole wheat dough


I go nuts for extra crust, and usually roll up the ball with herbs (today's: rosemary) and bake it for a pre-pizza appetizer. It's my favorite!


hello delicious crunchy creation! those 'r mine!


hubby loves cheese like a rad man.

Then we watched 127 Hours! Oh my gooooshhh this film is so insanely good! Please watch it, then loan it to your friends, then tell them to give it to their cousins, then watch it again. It's such a good true story about a truly amazing rock climber, teaching us to never give up but that there is always hope even in the worse of times. He forgot to mention that God is the only reason he is still alive, but I know he saw His light through his near-death experience! Incredible!

sssleeeep, I really, really appreciate thee.

"Be devoted to one another in love.
Honor one another above yourselves.
Never be lacking in zeal,
but keep your spiritual fervor,
serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope,
patient in affliction,
faithful in prayer.
Share with the Lord’s people who are in need.
Practice hospitality. "
Romans 12:10-13

No comments:

Post a Comment