March 21, 2011

Slow it Down, Chomping Teeth

They say we eat too fast, that we need to slow it down, that inhaling food is bad, causing weight gain and over-eating, they want us to stop. So, I'm going to listen, and look at the clock often, in order to find out how fast I really do munch during my meals.


run, buddy. stats after 5 minute cool-down

Arise: 20 minutes
Run: 8K - 48:13
Prep: 19 minutes
Bfast: 6 minutes
Snack: 2 minutes
Lunch: 17 minutes
Snack: 10 minutes
Snack: 4 minutes
Dinner: 20 minutes


steel cut oats, rice milk, raisins, wheat germ,
unsweetened coconut, vegan carob chips, almond butter,
nanner, blueberries + microwave.



chia seeds + millet puffs

It's a fact, I eat my food and forget to chew! I concentrate on cleaning my plate, not on closing my eyes with every bite in order to savor the flavors. I'm always thinking about what I'll be doing after my meal: doing the dishes, packing work food, going for a walk at work, reading God's word, writing my blog, journaling...



The only foods I try to eat as sloooowwww as humanly possible are green monsters 'cause they taste like ice cream, Sunday morning pancakes 'cause they taste like cake, and homemade pizza 'cause it tastes like heaven.



So, dear food(s) I eat:

if you were not previously mentioned in the list of foods I eat as slow as possible because they are the most delicious creatures in the world (green monsters, pizza, pancakes), I will inhale you without blinking once and I will forget to breathe while doing so.

Sincerely,

Nicole Carrillo
Seitan:

Definition: Although it is made from wheat, seitan has little in common with flour or bread. Also called “wheat meat”, “wheat gluten” or simply “gluten”, seitan becomes surprisingly similar to the look and texture of meat when cooked, making it a popular meat substitute. Seitan is also high in protein, making it a popular protein source for vegetarians. Asian restaurants often use seitan as a vegetarian mock meat, and seitan is also the base for several commercially available products such as Tofurky deli slices - About.com


recipe based off of Healthy Exposures'
although I can't find the exact link for the life o' me!
* 1/2 cup gluten
* 2 heaping tablespoons nutritional yeast
* basil, tyme, garlic, parsley
* 1/4 cup water (or veg broth)
* 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
* salt + pepper

1. Combine wet, then dry, then both
2. Knead until dough starts to become stringy
3. Bring a medium-sized pot of water* (or broth) to a boil, it should be close to full to cover our seitan.
4. Plop seitan ball or log inside.
5. Reduce hit to medium-low or low, let simmer, covered, for about an hour, flipping or turning the seitan every so often.
6. Remove from heat, store in freezer for future use or in a Tupperware in some of the broth.
7. Slice, dice, grill, bake, and treat with tender lovin' care (ie: inhale and enjoy it to its fullest!)

*I created a quick homemade broth to boil seitan in. T'was simply water, plenty of dry herbs and some bay leaves. This works wonders for cooking with rice and other grains as well!

How-To: easy as pie 10 minute abs.

  1. Turn your TV on, pick a favorite show
  2. Lie on the floor and think of ab moves you like.
  3. Turn on your show, and do about 15-30 reps each set, as many sets as you can come up with while your DVR counts you down to the end.
  4. Watch TV, get a workout, feel like a rock star
Dinner! Tofu Scramble w/ Cauliflower

  • kale
  • cauliflower
  • tomatoes
  • lime
  • serrano chili
  • avocado
  • tofu
  • nutritional yeast
  • paprika
  • salt + pepper

corn tortillas on the side, this was so crazy good! I was super surprised because usually me + nutritional yeast don't get along too well, but the flavor it added to this dish was deliiicious and I am never doing tofu scramble without it. ever. again.

Beans + Rice





oh goodness. You know it's going to be amazing when the spices are: chili powder, more crushed red pepper flakes than you can count, garlic, onion, salt and pepper.


I was tempted to eat this for dessert, but didn't give in. Tomorrow's lunch, you look pretty dang golden.

Be strong and take heart,
all you who hope in the LORD.
Psalm 31:24

No comments:

Post a Comment