March 8, 2011

Veggie Muffuletta + Chapati Bread

My love bug is home (again) from his trip (agaain) and I'm so uber happy inside that all I want to do is be with him. So, lovely blog, I'm giving you a few incredible Indian-inspired recipes and then it's all about time!




steel cut oats, rice milk, water, cocoa powder, coconut, almond butter, wheat germ, carob chips, banana, almonds, raisins!



Workout: 5 miles elliptical - 48:16, 2 sets 12 push ups, 3 sets 12 reps leg extension w/30lbs, 3 sets 10 reps leg curl w/20lbs + a nice stretch! After work I did 8 mins abs, since I don't have enough time at the gym in the AM :D


rainy days, you are peaceful but sad.


work snacks+ grub: fruit, veg, main course, half almond butter sammie on homemade bread, raw banana fig nut bar!

I found the first recipe from Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: Veggie Tempeh Muffuletta. I changed the recipe a tad to go with what I had in my fridge (tofu instead of tempeh, celery not fennel, de-seeded serrano chilis instead of bell pepper) - and the end result was fab-you-lous! It's a filling meant for big sandwich bread, but I decided to go with the Indian theme and make some chapati bread!

Veggie Muffuletta


• 1/2 block tofu
• 1 T tamari
• 1 T avocado oil (or olive)

• 3 tomatoes, diced
• 1/2 bell pepper, diced
• 1 celery stalk, diced (can also use fennel!)
• 1 green onion, diced (about 2 T)
• 1 T olive oil
• 1 dash o' minced garlic
• parsley, oregano, red wine vinegar (splashes + dashes of each)
• salt + pepper



All you do is toss the tofu/tamarini, brown in olive oil on medium heat and set in a bowl. Then, using same pan throw all the other ingredients together, with spices and such, and simmer in a little water. Then I mix that + the tofu and called it good!!

The bread recipe was inspired by one from How to Lower Your Fat Thermostat: chapati bread, it was super simple and the result was delicious!

Chapati Bread

• 1 C whole wheat flour
• 1 C brown rice flour
• 2 T wheat germ
• 2 T ground flaxseed
• 1 + 1/4 C water

Combine all dry ingredients, add water about 1/4 cup at a time and mix well until a firm dough is formed. Set aside for about an hour. Preheat oven to 400*, find yourself a nice "cooling" wrack to cook the bread on. Then cut into equal-sized squares and roll (floured surface) into thin tortillas. Place onto wire wrack and cook for 5 minutes (watch 'em so they don't burn!). Throw inside of slightly damp kitchen towel and cover, deflate any big bubbles.



I ate 'em lightly toasted under the veggie muffuletta and it was incredible!! Even hubby, lover of corn tortillas and pinto beans, thought the bread combined with the veg tofu was delicious! Must make again, since I have loads of chapati bread in the freezer.



Dinner was a green wheat grass beast (that grass has a heavy, distinct flavor, it was edible but strong, hoping to get used to it with time so I can keep my little plant!) And it kept me fulls forever!



• Red kale
• Wheat grass
• Soy milk
• Frozen banana, strawberries, blueberries
• Vanilla
• Unsweetened special dark cocoa powder
• Ground flaxseed
• Toppings: grapes, raisins, almonds, chia seeds, and love.



Goodnight moon!

"The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving,
even though we have rebelled against him;"
Daniel 9:9

2 comments:

  1. Making my own bread is one thing I haven't started experimenting with yet... Those little flatbreads look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, I'm glad he's back :)

    that bread looks SO good! Seriously, you should send me a piece ;) hehe my mind is already running wild with possibilities

    ReplyDelete