April 4, 2011

12 Weeks 'till 13.1

day one: 10K - 57:20
1 mile @ 10min/mi
4 miles @ 9:13min/mi
1.2 miles @ 8:34min/mi

In February 2009, I set out to run my first 5K. 4 days of training and 35 minutes later, I crossed the finish line. I was exhausted, I went home and felt like I had been hit by a bus. I fell asleep on the couch, moved to the bed, and slept for 3 hours. "Is this what it feels like after running a marathon?" I asked my hubby, Edu, since his dad had run 14 marathons, and I figured he'd know a thing or two about the effects of 26.2 miles. He told me, "yes" in a kind voice, as if a 3 mile race can really be compared to one of 26. I think he was just trying to be a sweetie, as his wife drifted off into zombie sleep.

Once the running bug hit, and stuck, I was a true goner. All I wanted to do was run a little faster, a half mile further, and I was so full of endorphins I could hardly keep my mouth shut about it. I signed up and ran a few more short-distance races in the Seattle area and loved every bit of it! Something that made me crazy happy was the starting line at all races. iPod ready, everyone giddy, last minute stretches, and the oh-so-famous "on your marks... get set... GO!" Sometimes followed by a gun shot, you know, for them fancy races. The adrenaline almost bursts out of my heart when we all start to run, the music pumping through the ear phones makes me want to start and finish strong, and everyone has the biggest smiles you'll ever see! It's: incredible.

I always told friends and family that I wanted to run a marathon before we had kids. It seemed like such a far-fetched plan that it sounded a whole lot like we would never start a family. Me? Run more than 5 miles? That's unheard of, impossible, just not my thing. But after my husband's first experience with 26.2 back in November at the ING New York Marathon, I thought, maybe it isn't so impossible. Maybe I could do it one day.



Or, at least I could try for half that distance. It's true: I'm running a half marathon!! June 25, 2011, the day I go all out with my first 13.1, the golden number. And today marks day one out of 59 of my training "Break 2 Hours" I think I'll call it. A twelve week plan that includes 2 races (8K and a 10K), boat-loads of hills, long runs of 15-18km, and a whole lot of fartleks (BFF, for real!). I'm excited, nervous, over-joyed, enthusiastic, and slightly sore -already. Here goes!

*12 week training to be posted soon, it's still in editing mode with the hubby*


after a 2 minute cool down, and a whole lot of happiness

This morning was 10K, treadmill, 10:00-8:35 minute miles with a stretch and an exercise band. Total time: 57:20 + pain free, thank you Jesus! I decided not to let myself stress or be anxious, even in the slightest, as my training progresses. I trust that it is all in God's hands, whatever happens, happens because it was going to anyway. If I get injured, I rest. If I feel slight pain, I ice. If half marathon day comes and I can't break 2 hours, I thank God and try again. It's so comforting knowing my life is in His hands!

Breakfast was the usual delight:

steel cut oats
rice milk
raisins
pecans
almond butter
wheat germ
chia seeds
pumpkin seeds
carob chips
banana
blueberries
pumpkin seeds



snacks + such:


lunch + quinoa bread:

classic minestrone with red cabbage and rice pasta


quinoa flat bread:
  • 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
  • 2 T: poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds + ground flaxseed
  1. place in food processor and let it do its thing 'till all ingredients are combined
  2. add a drizzle or two of olive oil if you wish, or water
  3. roll out evenly onto sprayed cookie tray
  4. bake at 375* for about 20 minutes, 'till edges are golden

after work, I ate one of these sweet squares.


123 guacamole!


lentil patties made from leftovers
  • 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
  • 1/2 cup cooked lentils
  • 1-2 tomatoes, diced
  • curry powder
  • paprika
  • red pepper flakes
  • garlic
  • onion
  • salt n' peppah
with: kabocha squash fries
& roasted broccoli trees



It's 7:34pm. Blog is done. Tomorrow's food is prepped. I might actually get to bed at a decent time tonight! I'm so content, I could eat another one of those coconut squares...

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:7

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to hear about your training as you prepare for your first half marathon!!! Crossing that finish line was a really monumental moment for me. I finally felt like a real athlete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so excited for you girl!! You are gunna ROCK it!! Is the hubs running with you?? Btw, TOTALLY love the quinoa bread idea!! trying that one out asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! You are so going to rock this half!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so exciting!!! I want to sign up for a half so bad, but I'm nervous! Six is the farthest I've ever been able to run!

    ReplyDelete