April 16, 2011

9 Mile Extravaganza


sweaty much

Nine. I can't believe the words as I say them, I ran over 9 miles today, and all I want to do is thank God and give Him all the glory! and go to sleep..? Nine miles. That's only one mile away from double digits, four more laps on a high school track and I'd hit ten?! I could do one more mile, I could run four more laps. Then I would be a 5K away from the distance of a half marathon. 5K? I could run five more kilometers, I can do this.


morning @ home warm up



Week two of my half marathon training has come to a close today, and I'm full of joy! I really feel like I am capable of running the 13 miles, something I never thought possible during my first 2+ years of running + jogging. It just sounds like such a huge distance, especially when my long runs were 6 miles and I'd have to double them aaand run an extra mile to feel the full distance. Progression is a wonderful thing, as is a maaarvelous coach that just so happens to be my spouse! I feel so blessed to have him in my life!


pre-run eat: almond butter, wheat germ, chia, cinnamon, banana, almonds, raisins atop homemade bread



hubby's grub: half bread man, AB and strawberry jam, fruits + nuts



Any issues with these Saturday morning long runs? Well, my ankle has been feeling slightly off these past few days at work, but two nights of ice did it good. I only felt a slight "ouuuchh" during the first lap at the lake today, and it didn't bother me at all during the last half of the run. I didn't trust it at first, though, so the first words that came out of my mouth as I set my watch were, "this run is for Jesus" - no matter what happens, I have to remember to give it to HIM!


15.5K (9+ miles) - 1:25:05



After that close to life-changing run, I did some cool-down, muscle-rewarding moves: high knees, jog, skip, jog, butt kicks, jog - we do 'em after each long run and it always relaxes our legs after a good beat-down! We then sat in Starbucks and munched on the good stuff: hubby had banana, orange, almond butter + jam sammie on homemade bread aaand I went to town with some amaranth banana bread squares, cucumbers, carrots, grapes and a banana. Then some reading went down!






Okay, I had really high hopes for this book and begged my hubby to purchase it for me on Amazon, but fo' reals? I'm more than 60 pages in and I feel like it's all about corn. I understand how corrupt the mass production of this little starch is, but more than sixty pages, for reeeaaals? I hope it gets better, I really, really, hope it the corn phase is close to coming to an end!


spinach love, red wine vinegar, olive oil, raisins + pecan bits

Home t'was: movie and molletes! Molletes are one of our favorite eats, but after our obession with pizza started flying hard and fast, we kind of left them alone. They're a Mexican wonder meal: crunchy bread, refried beans, pico de gallo, salsa and cheese! But we make changes, o' course. Jump in:



[pico de gallo]
• 3 tomatoes, diced
• handful cilantro, minced
• 1 small onion, diced

[guacamole]

• 1 avocado, mashed
• 1 lime, cut and squeezed
• 1-2 tbsp homemade salsa



[salsa]
• 3 tomatoes, halved
• 18-25 serrano chilis, stemmed
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 cup water
• BLEND!

[french bread]

• 1 medium-sized chubby, seedy, nutty, whole grain baguette
• bake for 10 mins at 375* cut in half, then fourths, then take out the guts



[refried beans]
• 2+ cups pinto beans (home cooked)
• 2 serrano chilis, diced
• 1 tbsp avocado oil
• oil a pan, pour in beans, mash 'till smooth, add chilis, let it simmer for 10 mins or so, letting them thicken up (don't let 'em burn, scrape the bottom of the pan often!)



Increeedible! And we definitely ate an extra bowl of pintos after these molletes were eaten. Long runs give us gigantic appetities. Hooray!



Tonight we went to see Chris Tomlin in concert, and it was absolutely wonderful. It was just about the greatest worship experience I have ever had: a church full of thousands of believers, a singer with an incredible voice and love for Christ, and thousands of voices praising our Heavenly Father! There's no better way to spend or end a Saturday. I wish I could do this weekly!


"and if our God is for us
then who could ever stop us
and if our God is with us
then what could stand against us?"


"the splendor of the King, clothed in majesty,
let all the earth rejoice"



Praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD from the heavens;
praise Him in the heights above.
Praise Him, all His angels;
praise Him, all His heavenly hosts.
Praise Him, sun and moon;
praise Him, all you shining stars.
Praise Him, you highest heavens
and you waters above the skies.
psalm 148:1-4

3 comments:

  1. WOOHOO!! You're a rock star!!!!!!!!! Those Molletes look wonderful. Must make soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome!! i did a happy dance in front yard after my first 9 mile run. I did my first half marathon in february and it was so awesome. You will do so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your way to cute. COngrats on the nine miles girl. I knew you were going to destroy this thing! Your a superstar :)

    ReplyDelete