April 20, 2011

Amaranth: The Happy Grain

Being far from perfect is a good thing! I don't know if I have been really striving for perfection or what, but a lovely comment on yesterday's post opened my eyes to the fact that I may have been beating myself up for not being perfect. I guess, with God, all I want to do is please Him. And if I fall or fail, I feel like I'm letting Him down. But I'm not!

Then He adds:
“Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more.”
Hebrews 10:17

He doesn't count our flaws or our mistakes, He erases them when we come to Him, broken, asking for forgiveness. He forgets about them and continues to watch us grow! I'm so thankful that Christ is so uplifting, who pulls me up when I'm too weak to get up on my own. And He has never, not once, asked me to be perfect! Praise Jesus!

~~~

This morning started off with a bit of an ab workout, since it's rest day for the legs (and the dying ankle). I did 30 reps of each move, and ended with 15 killer push ups, it felt loverly.

* Bent Knee Crunches
* Diamond Leg lifts
* Side Crunches, each side
* Dolphin Kicks x2
* Plank 1 min x2
* Side plank 1 min x2

Then food went down!

Steel cut oats (rice milk, water, cinnamon)

with butternut squash puree + cinnamon/nutmeg, with a chia seed pond, raisins, almond butter, kamut puffs and sunflower seedies.


Lunch t'was BBQ Mexican Rice n' Beans that I toppled with 2 handfuls of mixed greens.

Snacks were the same ol' faithful friends that I see on a daily basis aaaand then I found myself at home. Ready to eat a fig newton + tackle some dinner.


Nice to meet you, new grain: Amaranth (read all about it!)

I met this grain down in Mexico last January, and fell in love! It's very high in protein and gives you super powers! We had purchased a bag of toasted amaranth and hubby was looking for it everywhere here. He ended up buying 4 one pound bags of the raw grain and I have been experimenting with it. Blending, toasting, cooking. It has a very nutty aroma, in a good way, but definitely a distinctive taste. Some might say it ruins the banana-loaded flavor of your favorite loaf of nanner bread, but I beg to differ. It tastes fabulous.








My take on nanner bread! I doubled this recipe and did half ground amaranth, half rolled oats, raw honey for the sweetener, and some rice milk/water/chia + flax eggs for the liquid and oil.






best flavor when warmed in the microwave!


Amaranth banana bread from the microwave with fig filling, oh my gooodness it warmed my heart and my taste buds. Incredible. now go give amaranth a try!


3 pieces of toasted nori
1/2 avocado
1/2 large zucchini
1/2 cup edamame
Liquid Aminos
toasted sesame seeds
avocado oil


delicious magic.

Baking tiiime!

amaranth flat bread, thank you.



1) toast your amaranth
2) add water to your toasted amaranth
3) let it simmer for a good 30 minutes
4) throw it in a food processor with equal cups ground flaxseed (1 + 1/4 cup)
5) add italian seasoning + 3/4 cups water
6) Bake in 375 degree oven, on a baking sheet, for about 25 minutes
7) Pat yourself on the back, you got yourself some flatbread.



Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God – this is true worship.
Romans 12:1

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried amaranth before! That one is on my list.

    ReplyDelete