April 10, 2011

Half Marathon Training + Raspberry Cornmeal Cakes


first thing's first! there's a copy of my half marathon training, made to push me to break 2 hours at my June 25th Rock N Roll Seattle half marathon. Week two is coming up, we'll see how them legs take it! :)

I can't remember the last time I followed a recipe step by step. When did I ignore that "but I want to add a liiiittle bit of this, too" voice and take the time to read each ingredient carefully, measuring to perfection, not adding, subtracting, or substituting? It's been a long, lovely time. But today I did the insane: I copied a recipe, didn't make changes, and it tasted like a whole lot of heaven. Probably the reason it's in a best-selling Vegan cookbook, but who knows?



The big one was: Raspberry Corneal Pancakes, created by Dreena Burton herself, and published in her wondeful book, Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan. The most delightful cookbook I have ever held in my oddly long-fingered hands, and I'm full of joy to own it (thank you, mom! and Santa...).



Okay, I swapped the blueberries for raspberries, but she said I could in the book! Anyhow, they were magically mouth watering good, and they were plump like normal bfast cakes, and I was all for simplicity on the toppings - another fantastic accomplishment for me, depending on how you look at it. Coconut and banana? No regrets, my friends.

I wouuuuld post the recipe, but isn't that like giving you her recipe for free, instead of you purchasing the book and supporting her yourself? Hmphh, I guess a sneek peak will do! Cornmeal, ground oats, blueberries, ground flaxseed, rice milk... Just do it :)

While the pancakes were doing their thing, I got a crazy in-the-mood-to-cook feelin' at 8:20am and decided to grab Jessica's basic waffle recipe and put our George Foreman's waffle inserts to the test! I have never had luck with waffles on our sandwich maker, so after many fails I decided to live without them, which is the reason I have kind of been abusing my pancake limit recently. Buuuut guess whaaaaat? A miracle happened!





Oh goodness, your eyes aren't fooling you, these babies are REAL! And fo' sho' they're rich and wondrous tasting! I added about 18,000,000 things to the recipe, so I'll be posting it in a few days when I down these sweet thangs. I threw them, along with a few extra blueberry cornmeal pancakes, in the freezer so I can take them on-the-go (which I won't, I love eating not in my car, thankyouverymuch) and actually have something other than oatmeal for breakfast on a weekday! Hooray!

Church was wonderful, and hit me hard like it always does. I love Ephesians, I love God's Word, I love my pastor teaching me about it, I love worshipping Christ in a room full of hundreds of people, I love it all. We read Ephesians 2:14-18 and emphasized how we are all one in Christ. No matter how different we are, where we come from, our trials or tribulations, our pasts or presents, all of us believers in Jesus and His gospel are all ONE body, all equal in God's eyes.

I feel so blessed to be part of such a huge body of Christ, we're thousands of brothers and sisters living in this world with the one mission to love others and share what God did for us more than 2,000 years ago: He so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, Jesus Christ, to die for our sins, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but will have eternal life! Amen, family!

After church, we headed home and I jumped at the opportunity to hang out in the kitchen a bit more. I packed up lunches for the next few days, prepped for pizza, and brain stormed for the week's dinner menu! Fun beans, if you ask me :)


snack time! coconut apple square, banana, almond butter, coconut, raw pumpkin seeds


my mumsy bought me a pineapple core-er! It is wonderful!


red bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, kale, serrano chili, asparagus




two mini lasagnas for lunch this week!


hubby's quinoa :)


my shins were screaming at me all day, so ice became my friend for 30 minutes.


simple dessert of: apple slices, cinnamon, cocoa powder, raisins, almonds, oats and rice milk

Off to bed! yay for an amaaazing (3 day?) weekend!

"But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ" Ephesians 2:13

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum!! Those little cakes look fabulous! The waffles look yummy too. Cornbread waffles are my FAVORITE kind of waffle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Discover Flora London Marathon, the annual marathon event held in April every year through sites featuring background information, registration details, the racing route, spectator guide, and results of the sporting event founded by the former Olympic champion Chris Basher.

    ReplyDelete