May 13, 2011

Cauliflower Tofu Calzones

Yes. I'm so making this a recipe Friday!

20110513_006

Cauliflower Tofu Calzones
adapted by Vegetarian cookbook
makes 7 calzones

Dough:
• 2 cups whole wheat flour
• 3/4 cups water
• 2 tbsp ground flaxseed

Combine all ingredients, knead into a ball, cover and set aside for 30 minutes or so.

Filling:
• 1-2 cups cauliflower
• 1 cup peas
• 1 cup okra
• 1 cup tofu
• 2 green onions
• 1 Serrano chili
• Chili powder
• Garlic
• Salt + pepper

Bring a medium sized pan to high heat, add a good splash of water and steam your cauliflower. Once water has evaporated, bring the heat down to medium, add a gentle drop or two of avocado oil to the pan and shake the cauliflower to coat. Combine peas, okra and tofu and toss into the pan. Season the top generously with chili powder, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and let cook - but not burn - for a few minutes. Turn off heat, set aside and turn to your dough.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a baking pan with parchment paper and a thin coating of oil, if need be. Roll out dough into a log, divide into 7-8 pieces. Roll each piece in a ball, then grab a rolling pin and go at each one individually. We're looking for a nice, thin, 6 inch or so circle, but mine turned into squares - so I went with it! Wet edges with water, just a dab on your index finger will do the trick, and grab your filling. Spoon about 1/2 cup cauliflower mix onto one half of the dough, fold over and press edges together with fork. Continue until all filling is used. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

*Save leftover dough or make pita bread with it (flat circle, oven to 500, cook on a cooling rack for just 5 minutes, throw plump bread on a damp towel, cover to soften and flatten the bread - you're golden!)

20110513_005

That was the most incredible lunch!

The rest of yoga Friday went down like this:

20110513_001
50 minutes of this baby! I did part 1: Energize. My ankle didn't bother me at all, and I felt great. I love this DVD! I feel strong when I do funny, yet challenging, slightly awkward, I'm-about-to-fall-over moves, even if I'm not doing them as well as the pure-muscle yoga-doers on the video. And Bryan Kest is only slightly annoying, no over-doing it on the yoga talk. It's a win win, must say. Following yoga, I tackled 10 minutes of pure, sweaty abs. Sweet!

20110513_002
kale, spinach, rice milk, cooked steel cut oats, cinnamon, vanilla, frozen banana, blueberries, wheat germ, ground flaxseed

20110513_003
coconut, crunchy nuggets cereal, sunflower seeds, almonds, banana, chia seeds

20110513_004
calzones to go!


20110513_008
dinner t'was them mini Mexican lasagna babes :)

Ooookay, time for a wonderful weekend. I'm going to rest from running for one more day, then Sunday I will try to walk/run an 8K. I'm going to decided Saturday night if even attending the Beat the Bridge [to beat diabetes] run is a good idea or not. I registered with a group of happy people from work, so I'd love to show up! But if the ankle/foot is acting funny, there's no point to put it through over an hour of walking.

Happy Friday!

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment