May 11, 2011

Spelt Pasta Lo Mein

Oh Wednesday, full of ups and downs fo' sho, but now that it's 8:30pm, I'd say the day was mainly ups. I've been learning how God works in amazing ways when we hand Him the steering wheel and trust that He'll guide us. It feels incredible to depend on the Creator of this world!

This morn' was my day off from...everything in the exercise world. It felt delightful, sleeping in a tad, eating wonderful blueberry cornmeal waffles, and getting to work a bit early (okay, besiiides the extra 20+ minutes drive from lame-o traffic. C'mon Seattlites, it's just rain! You CAN drive, I promise!).

20110511_002

Blueberry cornmeal waffles were not meant to be waffles, I must start with that. They were meant to, and started off as raspberry cornmeal pancakes from the Eat, Drink and Be Vegan cookbook. But alas, I was too lazy to wait for pancakes to brown on each side, I didn't want to live in the kitchen for an extra 25 minutes, I wanted a quick load of delicious carbs for tomorrow's breakfast. So? Waffles.

Guess what happened last night at 8pm? Two died, poured out of the waffle maker, I burnt my tongue, the edges didn't cook, they were too thin or two thick, and my hubby, Edu, and I ate the ugly ones. At 9:00pm. I slept with waffles in my belly, and woke to a second plate. It was kind of fantastic, but don't worry - they will be pancakes next time.

20110511_001
Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes
100% inspired by Vive le Vegan
Serves 2

• 3/4 - 1 cups flour (spelt, brown rice, quinoa, oats)
• 1/2 cup cornmeal
• 1-2 tbsp ground flaxseed
• 1 cup + 2 tbsp rice milk
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 1 tbsp chia seed gel (chia + water, let sit and thicken)
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)

Combine wet, combine dry, combine the two. Make pancakes. :) They're exquisite. Especially with almond butter, cooked banana figs, banana slices, walnuts, and everything else in your cupboards, naturally.

Lunch + Snacks were as follows. And they were joyous.

20110511_003
those little bits at the bottom are baking failures but taste absolutely fabulous with almond butter and figs. What doesn't? and I only ended up eating 1 orange, even though my stuffy nose would have love


20110510_013
Spelt Pasta Lo Mein
Adapted by Fat Free Vegan
Serves 2

• 2 handfuls spelt pasta
• 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
• 10 baby carrots, cut into match sticks
• 1/4 head cabbage, cut into strips
• 1/2 cube tofu, cut into mini cubes
• 1 green onion, diced
• 1-2 tbsp Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 1 tsp red pepper flakes
• 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds

Toss tofu in a few drops of Liquid Aminos and brown in a bit of sesame oil, set aside. Using the same pan, no need to clean or add more oil, throw in your veggies and green onion, cover and toss every few minutes 'till tender. Add pasta, tofu, and the seasonings (I don't really measure them, just feel free and toss 'em in!) - cover again and let it do its thing for a few minutes, 'till all is combined and delicious looking. Consume.

Work has been extremely slow. It's like, for some odd reason, all the kids in the great North West stopped getting sick, so we sit at the front desk all day and twittle our little thumbs. Okay, there are still a bazillion other things we should be doing, but. hey. My friend made me a present, and it made me giggle. Maybe slow days aren't so bad afterall?

20110511_004
bahahah - I can so teach you Spanish better than Dora!

20110511_005
dinner t'was: homemade seitan sausage, brussel sprouts and quinoa lovin'

20110511_006
oh my sausages these taste like PIZZA!

Then I cooked, and cooked, and cooked some mo' and I loved every bit of it! You know what I don't love, however? Exceeding my photo limit on blogspot. Fo' reals, Blogger? You and I need to stop being friends real soon if this "transfer photos from Flickr to blog" task gets to be a pain, or, if I exceed my photo limit there, too. I want freedom from fees!

20110511_008
a preview of tomorrow's lunch: pinto bean and corn lasagna

20110511_012
how I do smoothies? 2 handfuls green and red kale, 2 handfuls spinach, cooked steel cut oats all in there rice milk delightfulness, wheat germ, frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, and pure vanilla extract.

20110511_014
that's how we do.


No comments:

Post a Comment