June 27, 2011

Beanie Fajitas Dancing on Tostadas

One would think that by the time July comes around, we would have seen plenty of sun already. But when you live in ye ol' Northwest, that is not the case, my friends. We learn to embrace the never-ending rain, the overcast mornings and our once-every-two-weeks heat wave (lasting for half a day).

The weather forecast calls for a high of 75, and we strip down to shorts, tank tops and flip flips. Oh, it's pouring down rain outside? There is not even a small patch of blue skies for miles and miles? We were promised 75, so we will patiently wait, as our feet land in 3-inch-deep puddles.

Dear June, oh sweet, quiet June, you were lovely. I had never gone so many days without running, filled so many mornings with weight sessions, hadn't drawn so much in months. So today, I'm giving thanks to God for the 6th month of 2011, and I'm pairing it with a more-like-winter recipe.

Today's sweat-filled hour, complete with "oh maaan that's a whole lotta sweating in a little amount of time" photos that I, at the last minute, decided not to post... teehee, went down this way:

• warm up: high knees, straight leg kicks, soft squats + butt kicks
(bahah I definitely typed "butter kicks") • 16 push ups
(baby steps! Working up to 20....hopefully by 2012!?)
• 5K on treadmill, jogging like a wounded soldier
• stretch, stretch, breaaathe
• 25 minutes of killer strength training
• 16 push ups

It was definitely one of those craaaazy good workouts where your muscles are screaming for hours after you leave the gym. Girl version guns, here I coooome! I love me a good morning in the gym. You know what else I love? This delicious recipe. Gaze your eyes, my friends:

It's an unspoken rule: you're so allowed to sing "accidentally in love" while making anything that tastes even slightly like Mexico. And, you can eat any chili soup cold so don't let any one tell you that sweating is a must when downing them beanie goodness.

Beanie Fajitas atop Tostadas
Inspired by Eat, Drink and Be Vegan's "Gimme Chimis"
Serves 2, for a light lunch


Ingredients:
1 tbsp avocado oil
1 green onion, diced
1 tsp chopped garlic (I used dried)
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp salsa (I used my hubby's homemade salsa)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 dash sea salt

1 medium zucchini, julienned
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cups pinto beans
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
4 corn tortillas
lime + fresh cilantro + avocado = garnish

Directions:
1. In a frying pan on medium heat, add avocado oil, onion, garlic, cinnamon, chili powder, salt and salsa. Stir around to coat and let it sit n' do its magic for a few minutes, while you chop and julienne your veggies.
2. Prep the veg (tomatoes, zucchini) and add to the pan, stir to coat with cinnamon chili powder goodness. Let them marinate for about 4 minutes, then add beans and vinegar.
3. Remove from heat, transfer to two bowls and grab your tortillas.
4. With a flat iron pan on medium heat, add all four tortillas (if they fit) and let them sit for about 5 minutes, then flip, wait another 5, and flip again. Continue until you have some delightfully crunchy, golden edges and you feel content with your homemade tostadas. If you're cooking a day ahead, store these crunchy babies in some foil to maintain their crispiness.
5. Consume everything in sight, mindfully.

PS: I found that wrapping them corn tortillas (toasted) in foil does not keep them any more fresh than if you left them on the kitchen counter for a day. But, toasting them bad boys a day later makes for one incredible crunchy disk, so go for it! Just don't burn them, like I did, 'cause their dark centers' flavor somewhat (or is an exact replica of) dirt and mud, dried.

I love vegetables and chili powder with tomatoes. I can't hide it any longer. I wish I could eat them every single day of my life, and that is what I usually do. I need to go read a book. I need to step out of ye ol' kitchen for a night (done, done, and did!). I need some mo' journaling and sketchbook time with Jesus. I love these relaxing evenings! Celebrate, celebrate, dance to the muuusiiiic...

1 comment:

  1. wow, those look SO good! Mexican food is my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete