June 26, 2011

The Cooks and Their Salmon

Once I got married back in October of 2008, I seemed to have parted for a bit from good friends (let's be real here, there are about 3) since all I wanted to do was make incredible memories with my new husband God blessed me with. Girlfriends and I would plan double dates, movie nights or small get-togethers and they simply never happened. I even stopped going to bible study with the college group at church on Thursdays, cutting myself out of the social world almost completely.

I didn't see anything wrong with it, though, since I was in a dream world where only my hubby and I existed. We didn't have to plan any dinners, host any parties or attend any events, there was no pressure and we weren't feeling like we were missing out on anything.

I don't know when things started to change, but I started to sacrifice hubby time for some friends time (or simply sister time) and had loads of fun catching up with everyone. Married life is crazy wonderful, but we can't leave our friends hanging, I had to remember that! Here's the dilemma, though: when friends hang out, what normally goes down? Food and or coffee. And I don't really applaude most restaurants out there. I would much prefer having someone over to mi casa for a cook off, or a "let's attempt to make this" themed evening in the kitchen. So that's what has been goin' down in the past year or so.

No Olive Garden, Starbucks or Red Robin, just buy some produce and let's find a recipe and cook, yo! A month or so ago, I had a friend over for some salmon burgers in homemade pita bread, sweet potato fries and a fruity dessert. We combined it with a movie night and had a flippin' blast!

And guess what? There was no 2,000mg sodium in the burgers, no trans fats on the fries, no bleach in the bread, and no 8 gallons of refined sugars in our fruity tarts. The portion sizes were controlled, and we didn't feel so stuffed that we were going to tumble onto the flour, clenching our tummies and regretting it all. Not to say this is exactly what happens when eating out at a restaurant, but I sure have had one or more of those experiences more than once in my life time. Just sayin'.

For the salmon burgers, I found inspiration in a recipe from a Healthy Choices book which actually called for tuna, I think, but we are a salmon family so salmon it was. The sweet potato fries were the basic recipe: preheat oven 400F, wash 'em potaters, cut 'em into fries, spray baking sheet non-stick stuff, spray fries, sprinkle w/salt, peppah, ground flaxseed or wheat germ, bake for 30 mins or so, flipping them a couple times. Pita bread 'twas this here recipe.

Dessert was all thanks to Oh She Glows (and glows, and glows some mo'....) Baby fruit tarts that we made in cupcake tins and accidentally added way too much almond butter (my fault) and ended up with oily dough that smelled that peanut butter cookie dough! No complaints :)

We had a blast, I love this girl! We've been amigas since we was youngsters and it's so fun to catch up every once in a while to see what is going on in our lives. God truly blessed me with this friendship and I hope to never lose it, even if it means a few less nights a year with my love bug, Edu. Love me some friends!

"Let all those that seek You rejoice and be glad in You; and let such as love Your salvation say continually, let God be magnified." Psalm 70:4

Praise Jesus, friends! His love for us is overflowing, His blessings never end!

No comments:

Post a Comment