June 18, 2011

Heaven on Earth Nanner Bread

Here in the Carrillo household, we are huge banana consumers. I used to down two a day, every single day, for breakfast and an afternoon snack. I would even find myself "sneaking in" a third, or a half of one, after dinner. They're just so stinkin' delicious and sweet! Seriously, they make me swoon. Nowadays, I've learned to have a little self control with this potassium-packed fruit, and I stick to one a day, sometimes two. This makes them more special (like a treat) and we end up with loads of extra 'nanners for freezing + baking.

So, naturally, I get extremely stoked when we end up with 6 extra bananas by Friday (end of the week, grocery shopping day) 'cause they're spotted like crazy, soft, awkward to eat since peeling them alone causes the top half to fall to the floor, and begging to be mashed with some flour and walnuts. This "6 bananas too many" situation fell into my hands recently, and there was only one thing I could do... go banana bread crazy.

Heaven on Earth 'Nanner Bread
adapted from
Oh She Glows
Makes 1 loaf


Ingredients:
• 1 cup oat flour (I ground up rolled oats)
• 1 cup kamut flour (ground kamut puff cereal!)
• 1 handful walnuts, broken into pieces
• 1.5 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp nutmeg
• 1/2 tsp ginger
• 1 tbsp chia seeds
• 4 bananas, mashed not pureed
• 5 tbsp applesauce (instead of oils)
• 1/2 cup minus 1 tbsp pure maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
• 1 handful frozen blueberries, for topping

Directions: preheat oven to 350F. Whisk all dry ingredients into a medium sized bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine all wet ingredients. Pour wet into dry and combine, trying not to over-mix. Line loaf dish with parchment, grease if needed (my loaves always stick so I have to grease and use parchment - the madness!) And pour in your batter. Top with frozen blueberries (original recipe called for pitted cherries, which would have been incredible if I had 'em!) And bake for about 45 minutes or until goldenly delicious.

*pre-bake!

*ohmygoodness post bake!

While this loaf bakes, I find it necessary to sit back, relax, and enjoy the mouth-watering smell of cinnamon and banana coming from your kitchen. Please don't forget to partake in that experience! It's slightly comparable to a runner's high, I won't lie. :)

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh I looove banana bread. I can already imagine how amazing this would smell baking in the oven!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eee! I SWOON for bananas. They're my absolute favorite fruit, and I have at least 2 a day. This banana bread looks fantastic! My bananas usually don't make it to the brown stage to be made into banana bread... I gobble them up too fast lol. I need some better self control...

    ReplyDelete