June 30, 2011

Hopeful Future, Happy Food

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your heart on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God." Colossians 3:1-3

Set my heart on things above... On Christ's calling for my life: to love others, serve, and share His gospel with them. On treating my husband with unconditional respect, not only when I feel like he deserves it. On giving everyone second chances, on not remembering the things that have passed, on not focusing on the negative past but the hopeful future. On painting and drawing for my Savior, not just for me. On eating healthful, wholesome foods that will strengthen this body that God formed for me. On exercising not for myself, not for looks, not to be the best, not to stand out, but for physical strength that will add years to the life the Lord has blessed me with, to share His story when I'm old and gray.

That's my hope. That's a new life in Christ, the old ways have passed and the new ways are here to stay, with more to come. I love God's promises. My prayer is that everyone could experience them to the fullest. Life is wonderful when you do!

Today, dear Thursday, was lovely. It was a 5K jog day on the treadmill, followed by a killer workout from Self magazine with Karena and Katrina. It has become my favorite, and so far the moves have yet to "bore" me to tears. It feels better every time I go through it, so much so that I have decided to do the whole sequence twice - making it a full 20min workout. All you need to add is a good cardio session, a nice stretch and you got yourself an hour of AM bliss!

The rundown:
• warm up
• 5K (3.2 miles) treadmill jog pain free pain freeee!
• cool down
• water, water, water
• stretch
• 20 min strength training
• 16 push ups
• mini-stretch

After that beauty, I got me some bfast. Chocolate oats and a mini green smoothie were waiting for me in the fridge, which I love because I don't have to spend 5 minutes created or even decorating my breakfast, it's just sittin' in the fridge from the day before!

Green slime: tofu, kale, coconut milk, chia gel, frozen banana, vanilla.
Chocolate bowl: steel cut oats (cooked in rice milk, water and cinnamon), wheat germ, unsweetened cocoa powder, ground flaxseed meal, blueberries and strawberry slices.

Once lunch came around, I came to the sad realization that I forgot to pack some flatbread with my tempeh pot pie. I made the pot pie filling the other day, but didn't feel like making a pie top or baking it, so I have been enjoying the filling with bread on the side. So what did I do? Ran to the store on my lunch break, found the most practical grain available, and topped the baby:

kamut puffs! Oh yes I did!

Here's why: we eat kamut puffs like it's candy (as a topping for yogurt smoothies, oatmeal, coconut creams and green monsters) and I didn't really feel like spending money on an entire loaf of bread, or bag of seedie rolls, or even a baguette. So I got kamut. And it blew my mind. 'Nuff said!

Dinner went down this way:

edamame joy from the freezer, to the microwave, to my mouth. kale chips with olive oil n' salt, mixed veggies with nutritional yeast, garlic, onion, salt n' pepper, red pepper flakes, rosemary and italian seasoning. Increeedible!

Okay. It's been long enough, I have to have another gallery of food. It has simply been a delicious round in June, and I want to share the sights with the world!

cauliflower thrown into a food processor with paprika
veggies in lime juice with edamame and avocado
tomato, corn, green onion, zucchini, summer squash

funny zucchini acorn squash bread with quinoa flour
apple n' almond butter


oh-my-goodness-you-were-perfect waffles (recipe!)
with maple syrup and fig jam, for my hubby and his brother
the morning brother had to fly back to Mexico

tempeh sammie = homemade bread, mustard, avocado
tomato, zucchini, tempeh pan fried with spicy delights.

Life tastes delicious. God made the most tasty foods I have ever met, let's admit it!

Happy almost Friiiiday!!

3 comments:

  1. I think that should be a t-shirt: "Life Tastes Delicious" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anna about the t-shirt haha ;)
    Kamut puffs are AWESOME! I love adding them to my yogurt and cottage cheese--the simpleness makes them taste so good!
    Hope you have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried kamut puffs but they look really good! I've seen them over the blog world but I've never bought any! I'll have to keep an eye out for them :)

    ReplyDelete