June 24, 2011

The Joy of Green Lake

The first time I jogged the loop at Green Lake, I was a baby runner. I did a slow n' steady 3 miles, enjoyed the scenery more than the distance and speed, and I didn't care how many people went flying past me. It was the most beautiful sight of God's trees, His lake, His plants and fields of grass I ever did see.


We go to this lake just about every Saturday for our long training runs. The inner loop bordering the lake is just three miles, the outer loop on the road is about 3.5, and we usually tackle somewhere from two to seven laps.

Okay, only Edu has ever done more than 3, but still - we can pretend I did, too! We love it to bits, come rain, wind, sun, heat, or chances of snow flurries.

Edu's twin brother flew in from Mexico last Friday to spend a week training physically and mentally for his first half marathon (Rock n Roll Seattle, yo!) and we were so excited to bring him to Green Lake! Last Saturday we got our gear on, hoped for the rain to stop, and went for a mini-drive down to Seattle, ready for running some loops.

The weather was crisp and fresh, it was lovely! Our wishes for the rain to disappear didn't come true, but the boys enjoyed their miles run at rapid speeds and I enjoyed my 5K jog. Carlos fell just as in love with the view as we did some years ago, and he even asked for a wee collection of photos I've taken over the past 100+ Saturdays.



So. Stinkin. Gorgeous! I truly wish everyone could enjoy a run here, it's like going for a walk with God, His works are surrounding you! And you won't find one grumpy face, just plenty of sweaty, or chatty, or goofy and happy faces. It's almost a guarantee.

Sigh... Makes me want to go there every day of the week.

Happy Friday, everyone! The Carrillo household is looking at an 8pm bedtime (yeah. riiiight) and a 3am alarm clock for tomorrow's big race. Praying for the boys, that God strengthens them and guides them each and every mile! Hello 13 + 26 miles, the twins will see you soon!


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne." Hebrews 12:1-2

2 comments:

  1. Love the pics! That lake is so lush and beauftiful, I'd love to run at a place like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that place is absolutely gorgeous. I would love to run in a place like that... surrounded by God's beauty... I think it would be an amazing feeling.

    ReplyDelete