July 10, 2011

Be Angry, Be Human

God never ceases to amaze me.

Today's sermon at church this morning was more than beautiful, it hit me even closer to home, it tugged on my heart, opened my eyes, every word was exactly what at times my grumpy heart needed to hear. In a word? Perfect. God knows what He is doing, and why we have our rough days, He has a reason, and He speaks to us in the exact moment that we truly need Him to.
I'm going to *more or less* copy my notes from this mornin' to avoid repeating myself too much or messing the entire thing up, both of which I am pretty pro at.

Ephesians 4:26+27
And “don’t sin by letting anger control you.”
Don’t let the sun go down while you are still
angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil.


It speaks for itself, but elaboration is wonderful: anger alone is not sinful, God Himself gets angry. It is what we do with the emotion of anger that can be sinful. It's okay to be angry at sinful acts, all the corruption surrounding us and burdening others. God will work His wrath. What we see, what makes us mad, should move us to confront the issues, confess our own sin. Don't allow anger to brew inside of you, it will build up deeply and create ongoing bitterness. This has been my issue. I get angry, yeah, and I try not to thrash out at people and cause scenes, but ohhh how good I am at holding it inside of me. How accustomed I have become to letting anger brew, for hours, days, weeks... months. Without fixing a thing.

To forgive is to let go!

Don't let the poisonous spirit of bitterness keep you from resting. Resolve all anger before your head hits your pillow at night. Anger only allows the devil to have an influence over our life. Which isn't a very lovely way to live, I must add, and it is inevitable if we let anger take control. We control our own emotions - so deal with your anger today.

So, what am I supposed to do with all those grumpy days, the moments where I feel like there is no where to turn, so I swallow my anger and shake off its existence as it builds itself a home inside my heart and decides to stay awhile? seek understanding.

Proverbs 14:29
"He who is slow to anger has great understanding. But he who is impulsive exalts folly."

Meditate on God's Word daily.
His Book gives us understanding.
Pray for understanding.

Psalm 119:34
"Give me understanding,
and I shall keep Your law;
indeed, I shall observe it
with my whole heart."

Walk in the Spirit. The Spirit of God within us:
helps us, guides us, teaches us, supports us, holds us, lifts us up.

Galatians 5:16 "Live by the Spirit and you will not
gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
"

Forgive others, Nicole. And stop going to bed so angry. I'm glad Ephesians:26+27 were on the agenda today, it was such a blessing to hear! We can be human beings and be angry, and it is not sin! It's simply what we decide to do with our anger that can either make the day wonderful, fix all the garbage, or complete destroy us and those around us. It's our choice. A blissful sigh of relief.


Let's eat:

  1. chocolate ice cream for breakfast: kale, spinach, coconut water, frozen strawberries and banana slices, wheat germ, chia seeds, rolled oats
  2. beet almost-rainbow salad: orange bits, peanuts, beet cubes
  3. hubby's pizza: homemade dough, mozz, turkey w/italian seasoning, bell pepper, serrano, fresh pineapple bits
  4. mai mexican "pizza": leftover homemade dough, leftover bean salad with added bell pepper and more serrano chili (bean salad = pinto beans, zucchini, summer squash, onion, lime juice + a fridge for a day or two or three)
  5. dessert: banana, apple, frozen blueberries + zucchini n' squash bread that tasted close to awful so it had to be lathered in almond butter and fig jam in order to be consumed.
delicious weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I love it when a sermon really hits close to home. There have been so many instances in church where I literally started crying because the words were hitting so close to home... especially when I was really struggling with my recovery. It was like God was speaking right to me, and telling me exactly what I wanted to hear. Beautiful. And I love the idea that we're allowed to be angry, because we're only human and it's hard to control our emotions... but what really matters is how we react to that anger, and whether we let it brew in our hearts and go on to do more evil, or whether we fight against it and choose to forgive.

    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh- that is so beautiful. girl, i am so sorry i have sucked at commenting, ive still been reading and catching up on your life though! you are such a light. thank you so much for sharing wht the Lord has led you to. i wish we lived close to each other and could chat about life all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that sounds like such a good sermon! The past couple of church services I've been to have been really hitting home for me too! I LOVE it when that happens!

    Your eats look good as always :)

    ReplyDelete