July 9, 2011

Birthdays and BBQs

Saturday, such a sweet name.

A lovely day of running, rest, maybe trying new recipes, you know - a day to do absolutely everything your little heart desires? I'm a fan. Recently, with my "taking it easy" approach to all that is running, races, speed and distance, I have been trying to get creative with my workouts. Saturdays have a new addition to them, and I'm loving every bit of it! I usually tackle long runs on Saturday mornings, but they have turned into strength training in the living room and 3-4 mile jogs at the lake. It has truly been a blessing in disguise, 'cause even though I am in injury rehab (ankle, foot, then knee) and I wish I could go fast and far, I am able to take in all of God's beautiful creation at the lake - slow and steady. Shoot, I am smiling if I can move for 10 minutes without pain, no matter how slow I may or may not be going. Delightful!!


Truly, though, today was a wonderful day because all of the family got together to celebrate my papa's birthday. Happy birthday, dad! He is truly the biggest blessing in my life, and I know I don't deserve a papa like him. God is such a Wonder for giving me such a lovely dad who is strong in the faith and wants nothing more than to see his kids grow to know the Lord! Such an inspiration!


In honor of the birthday man, we cooked some salmon, veggie kebabs, corn on the cob on the grill, and brown rice. 'cause that's just how we do BBQ!


*ps: his birthday is actually tomorrow, so we may or may not have asked him to help us out with ye' old grill. and by may or may not have, I really mean we did - most likely. Maybe. did.

Then the brother that is my brother and I decided to get down with some pie making! Of course, you can't truly make a pie from one second to another. It is a long process, as my brother informed me, and requires hours in a freezer (dough) and more time (dough) so we went for an apple pie filling with a crumble on top. t'was divine!

oh my sweet baby cakes. I ate enough ice cream and apple crumble to feed a town of 4,000 adults - but I don't regret a second of it. So sweet, so texture-loaded, so cinnamon-filled. Now go on, find yourself some apple pie and enjoy it.

ps: ihadmorephotos
ofthewholefamily
butcouldn'tpass
themontomycomputer.

boo on technology!

~

Trust in the LORD forever,
for the LORD, the LORD Himself,
is the Rock eternal!

Isaiah 26:4

1 comment:

  1. Love the family pics and the kebabs! Looks like such a fun Saturday! :)

    ReplyDelete