July 2, 2011

Discovering Parks

I could probably count the number of places that ye Adidas running shoes have jumped on, since I started running somewhat often back in 2009, on one hand. They have fallen in love with 2 high school tracks, 1 middle school track, 1 sidewalk that loops around the neighborhood, and 1 trail at a gorgeous lake. Oh, wait... they have also tackled 1 trail by my sister's house, 1 trail that lead us to a beach fairly close to home, 5+ sidewalks, roads, side streets during races in the great North West, and, of course, they have fallen hard for the treadmill.

So I lied. I can count the number of surfaces my running shoes have come into contact with on two hands. Or more. Nonetheless, they were looking for something fresh this weekend, and my incredible husband can read minds (and runners' feet) came to this realization and said, "wife, we're going somewhere different tomorrow morning." And that we did.

I introduce you to Discovery Park and all its glory:

They say that runners should never increase their speed or distance by more than 10% on any given week in order to prevent unwanted injuries. I say, "hey, I know I can go for more than 3 miles, so, even though I haven't jogged for any distance longer than 3 miles in the past four weeks because of my running injury, I really just want to run 5 miles today, okay?" and I hope for nothing bad to happen. There were hills involved, though, as well as my first experience with running in higher than 58F temperatures, as well as distractions (trees, my sweet husband, the ocean, the smell of ocean life, fellow runners, more trees, pretty plants, tree roots forcing us to play the unofficially titled "dodge that tree root!" game, etc..) but guess what? It's 9:20pm and I have no ankle pain. Or foot pain. Or knee pain. Or sunburns. Hooray!

Then we spent $5,000 on groceries, ate some Costco samples, and we may or may not have just consumed about 40 pounds of homemade sushi and miso soup. Which may or may not have taken me a full HOUR to prepare. He washed all mai dishes, though, so I would happily cook another 18 hours for that man. love, love, lovelovelovelove making that boy smile!

beastly.fields of weeds are sweet indeed.

g'night! happy fake friday
(since we have two full days left to our weekend, riiiight?)

O taste and see that the LORD is good;
How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!
Psalm 34:8

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your sweet comment!! (: xox love the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! just stumbled across your blog and am glad I did. I love your strong faith in Christ. :D

    p.s. love the outdoor pics...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay yay yay yay!!!! I'm so so happy your ankle is doin better!!!! I'm hoping to do 5 miles tomorrow. It'll be the first time since the 8k race we both ran (I also had to work through a few injuries, because of some shoes that were just not right for me... So now I'm back in the game!! Trusting God that He'll work it all out and help me reach my goals, FINALLY. :)

    ReplyDelete