July 13, 2011

Ice Cream for Breakfast

Happy Wednesday, world! Today was all, all, all about trying to wake up a tad early to attempt a successful morning of yoga followed by a oh my goodness green monster that ended up brown, but just as delicious as I had imagined it. And guess what? It all went down! I am surprised at it all, to be honest.


Since yoga is pretty self-explanatory, I decided to do a step by step of ye' ol' ice cream for breakfast, man. This is a recipe that screams for modification, and just begs to be messed with. So feel free to add and/or subtract every. single. ingredient. Trust me. Just keep some basics:
  • frozen banana for creaminess
  • liquid so everything blends
  • your favorite leafy green
  • a thickening agent (I use oats!)


  • 1 frozen banana, diced
  • 4 frozen strawberries, cut into pieces for easy food processing.
  • 1 handful frozen blueberries
  • 1 handful spinach
  • 1 handful red kale
  • 1/2 cup coconut water
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1-2 tbsp wheat germ
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds

I'll just leave it at that, 'cause my tummy is growling and I believe it's calling for an after 8:00pm apple before bedtime! And P.S. this will most likely blow your mind away. I recommend cocoa powder and or almond butter to make it a whole-lot more dessert-y and to make you feel like you're flying for eating chocolate ice cream that contains KALE! Just do it :)

chocolate version!

strawberry version without any leafy greens

extra dark chocolate one aside cooked steel cut oats!!

Deliiiicioso.

Now there's pretty much no reason anyone in your family doesn't eat leafy greens. Hide them in your ice cream and they won't even realize how healthy their insides are turning!

1 comment:

  1. You had me at ice cream for breakfast :D I'm not sure I could use a blender in the morning without seriously annoying someone, but this sounds like a perfect mid-afternoon snack for when I really need a pick me up. Who doesn't like ice cream that'll make them fly :D

    ReplyDelete