July 21, 2011

Jesus and Journals

So, I've been diving into this gem pretty often, kind of daily, and I'm amazed.

"as the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When can I go and meet with God?"

Psalm 42:1-2


"Those who look to Him are radiant;
their faces are never covered
with shame." Psalm 34:5


"...so that you may become blameless
and pure, children of God without
fault in a crooked and depraved
generation, in which you shine like
stars in the universe..."
Philippians 2:15


I also seem to have found a new addiction that is journaling as often as humanly possible. It's healthy, right? Of course it is. It's the best form of therapy I have ever experienced. I go days without it and I find myself suffocating and drowning all at the same time. And guess what? Writing to Jesus is overwhelmingly beautiful. Calm spirit, cheerful heart, burdens cast away to Him.

[The mini story] ...Last Christmas I found myself online looking for one of the top rated devotional books on sale. I was planning on giving one to my older brother and another to a friend at work as gifts. "Jesus Calling" grabbed my attention, not only because everyone seemed to love it, but also because of how it is written. Instead of the devotional saying, "cast your cares to Jesus, He will carry your burdens" it says, "cast your cares towards Me, I will carry your burdens." Jesus speaks to us directly, making it more intimate and personal, which I think we all need.

I ended up purchasing 3, one in Spanish for my hubby and two others. I wanted to by a fourth for myself, but I had a few months left on the devotional I was currently reading through, so I decided to wait. And let me tell you - it was so worth the wait!

I'm only a few days into "Jesus Calling" but I am loving it so much! It takes a bit of getting used to reading this type of writing, where Jesus Himself is speaking to us, yet it's so beautiful. At the end of each page are a few bible verses that are sort of foundations for the daily text, and it's lovely to pull out my bible in the morn' and dive deeper into what God has in store for the day.

Truly delightful, I recommend it to everyone! And, well, no pressure on the journaling, it just helps hit home for me. To each his own. :)

Apart from reading and writing and reading some more, we have been giving away all our hard earned cash and earning us a fancy HOME!

The apartment is filling up with even more boxes (is that even possible?!), we're holding onto our new house keys like their our own children,
And... well, I may be forgetting to snap photos of all of my meals, since I usually end up slurping them up (who chews their food anymore?) in less than 3 minutes. veggie pasta + lentil tomato sauce!

pinto beans, lime juice, chili powder, zucchini, summer squash, homemade pita bread, avocado, greens, salsa, roasted bell pepper, tomato heaven.

This weekend is going to be insane.
In a good way.

I'm (we're) so excited to start a new chapter in our life, and all the thanks goes to God who has worked out all the details. Without Him, we probably wouldn't even have met (and by probably I mean most definitely) and I'd be a pretty empty, grumpy, depressed, lost soul. True story. Jesus is so loving, I can hardly believe all the blessings He pours into my life!

Happy almost FRIDAY!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that's so exciting!!!! I'm so happy for you guys! Good luck :)

    That book looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't congratulated you on your new house purchase, but... CONGRATULATIONS GIRLIE! EEE. That's so exciting :D I'm currently in the process of shopping for a new place to live myself, and I can't wait until I find one. The whole thing is so terribly exhausting, but I know it'll be worth it :D And I love the idea of a devotional being written as if Jesus was speaking to you... I definitely might have to look into picking that up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your soul seriously SHINES through your blog! oh my gosh- so exciting about you two!!! congrats! AHHH i love journaling- i HAVE to write my thoughts down to Jesus bc my mind is going a million miles a minute. Jesus Calling is OUT OF CONTROL amazing- literally God orchestrates those devotions perfectly for that day. He literally is writing them to us! thank you for sharing those sweet, sweet verses too my friend! love you sista!

    ReplyDelete