July 15, 2011

Sweet and Sour Tempeh n' Sweet Potatoes

Oh beautiful, humid, rainy, cloudy Friday. You were a gem. Although work put me to sleep (since when does every child from birth to 18 stop getting sick in the Summer and decide to get sick once Fall hits? I've been told it's the norm, but it still throws me off a bit), and I may or may not have eaten my entire kitchen once I arrived home at 6:30pm from grocery shopping, but it was a jolly good day. A jolly good day, indeed.

  1. FOAM ROLLER MADNESS!
  2. a little something I call 12 minute abs
  3. Green monster breakfast of love
  4. Work my tail-feather off.
  5. Sweet and Sour Tempeh w/Sweet Potatooo
  6. eat my arm, then eat dinner (split pea patties!).
i fit. you fit?

purple kale, spinach, frozen fruit, cocoa powder, wheat germ, vanilla, cooked steel cut oats + a food processor


Oh goodness. The recipe for Sweet and Sour Tempeh with Sweet Potatoes is 100% thanks to Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. I mean 100% - it is her incredible creation and I take ZERO CREDIT for it. Please let me make that clear. 'cause all I want to do is share it with you, but I don't want any one to think that my wee-brain thought this amazement up. All her. fo' sho. Now, let us share!

Sweet n' Sour Tempeh w. Sweet Potatoes
thanks to Eat, Drink and Be Vegan
my changes are in red
Serves 2

  • SWEET N' SOUR SAUCE:
  • 1 tbsp cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup ketchup (I used a handful of grape tomatoes - do it!)
  • 1/2 cup rice vinegar (red wine vinegar)
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup (a tablespoon was fine)
  • 1 tbsp Liquid Aminos
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 dash dried garlic granules
  • 1 tsp hubby's homemade salsa (any hot sauce will do!)
  • 1 dash sea salt
  • 1 medium-sized sweet potato, peeled, cut into half discs
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch long, thin strips
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 package tempeh, cubed
  1. Preheat oven to 425F
  2. Throw all your sweet n' sour sauce ingredients in a food processor and whirl around (use a hand blender if you have ketchup on hand instead of tomatoes. I only needed a food processor in order to puree my tomatoes nicely).
  3. Combine sweet potato discs, bell pepper strips, diced onion and cubed tempeh in a bowl, pour sauce on top and stir to coat completely then coat 2 individual non-stick baking dishes with non-stick spray (or, alternatively, one square baking dish).
  4. Cover with foil and bake for about 1 hour, or until sweet potato is softened. Feel free to stir occasionally so all the veggies drink up that sweet and sour love.
  5. Swoon at your meal. This is the most important step.


Man o man. I have to be honest - I never thought I would make this recipe. I must have passed it a dozen times when looking for a dinner recipe in this book, but it simply never caught my attention. Was it the fact that it called for ketchup and we don't own any? Or how the first ingredient listed is arrowroot powder? Both are very good reasons not to touch this recipe. But with a few tweaks and trade outs, this has turned into one of my favorite recipes to date. That says a lot, since I'm pretty much in love with every recipe in this book.

Gimme Chimis, Raspberry Cornmeal Pancakes, Blackened Tofu, Brown Rice and Beans Jumble Aya, Bean and Corn Tortilla Lasagna with Avocado, White Bean Rosemary Soup, Monkey Minestrone... all are incredible. Buy her book, if it's the only thing you do this weekend.

Okay, I'll stop :)

happy weekend.

But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you,
for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about
my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

2 Corinthians 12:9

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried tempeh before, but this recipe looks incredible! I'm a sweet potato fanatic haha ;)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete