August 19, 2011

No Run Saturday

It's a humbling, challenging moment when, after cautiously jogging for a few weeks in the darkness of the wee-wee-wee morning hours, trying to avoid all possible runner's-injuries, with your wonderful husband and coach at your side (or a few KM ahead of you), who basically jumps up and down with excitement every time you tell him that you have no knee, ankle, or foot pain, and you start to think that maybe, just maybe you will be able to train smoothly to your very first half marathon.....

....you wake up with a sore ankle. Not just any soreness, but a scary ache telling you to hang low from running for a day or two. Then you find yourself at your favorite running spot on a Saturday morning. The runners look beautiful, happy, or in agony, and injury-free. Every and their dogs are running without pain. And you get to embrace all that is magazine workouts and the like.

Not easy. Not fun. But take it as it comes to you, you must. So this morning I grabbed the latest Women's Health magazine, found a sunny spot by the outside of the lake, and sweat for thirty minutes straight. It was impossible to ignore the couple dozen runners who passed my way, even the walkers were capable of more leg movement than I was, but I happily exercised in my own, avoid-all-ankle-moves way.

Here's the run down, courtesy of Lara Rosenbaum and her exercise regimen in Women's Health (with a few adjustments for the ankle's sake, and the lack of dumbells):

[Three times thru, no rest]
• Body-Weight Squat (15 reps)
• Pushup (15 reps)
• Bent-Over Row with L-Raise (15 reps)
• Plank (30 seconds)
• Curtsy Lunge (15 reps)

[Three times thru, no rest]
• "Dumbbell" Squat to Overhead Press (20 reps)
• "Dumbell" Chest Press on Bench (20 reps)
• Mountain Climbers (20 reps)
• Butt-Lifts, Reverse Plank (20 reps)
• "Dumbbell" Lunge with Biceps Curl (20 reps)

[Four times thru, no rest]
• Single-Arm *water-bottle* Swing (10-15 reps each side)
• Pushup Row (10-15 reps each side)
• "Dumbbell" T-Stabilization (10-15 reps each side)



I sweat. It burned. Life is okay, without running. I have to, need to, must continue to tell myself that. It might take me months or years to believe, but there is no choice. My name is Nicole, my flat feet cause me to workout through about running 3 injuries a year, and I am an on-again, off-again runner.

Le sigh. At least I get to look forward to seeing a lovely gentlemen after each of his runs, always full of encouraging words that one day, ooooone day, God willing, I will run a full marathon. and I will kill it. It just won't be next week. :)

eat pizza and edamame. live long.

*

Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
Ephesians 5:1

2 comments:

  1. UGH. I feel your pain, girlfriend! No joke.....injuries suck. Like...a lot. And I've had my fair share, too. Keep at it!! God knows the desires of your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to improvise! Love the alternative routine :) Hope your injury heals soon, I know God will help ya!

    ReplyDelete