August 27, 2011

The Sights and Sounds

10:33am
Green Lake, post run.

It's days like this that make me feel truly blessed to live in the Seattle area. It's sunny, the air is a warm and the act of running is slightly harder than it normally is. Oh cold, morning runs, I never knew how much I appreciated you. I'm thankful for the sun, but also hugely thankful for the hundreds of cloudy, not-so-melt-your-face-off-hot days we're given year-round. It makes for the greatest running, I tell you!

I also can't get over how goofy nature and the creatures living in it are. Okay, I am mostly referring to the creatures. A week or two or three ago, we found ourselves at the high school track at 5:30am. The only sign of life besides us running folk were crows and cats. And a walker, who appeared some thirty minutes later.

I first witnessed, with my ears, the eery sound of two cats screaming, growling and hissing at each other. One moment they were starring one another down, motionless, and the very next lap they were gone, into the bushes, making the creepiest noises I ever did hear. You know, those same screeches you heard when you were a kid, whilst sound asleep. Creepers!

The second sight was the same week, different day. There seemed to be a very large amount of crows sharing the track with us that foggy morning, and I couldn't help but let myself get completely distracted by them. They chased each other, flew atop soccer goalies, and... Ate Cheetos. Three crows, in lane 5, consumed the remains of a high schooler's bag o' Cheetos. True story. Made me giggle.

And, today? This sunny-day in August? I will not lie, not even stretch the truth. I caught squirrels in the act. Yes, you read me right. They was doing some love making right before my very eyes! I had to laugh, it was the most random sight to see. I was slightly embarrassed, but mostly surprised. And of course all I wanted to do was find my husband and tell him what I had witnessed. You see, squirrels are one of his all-time favorite animals ever (next to raccoons) and I know he's going to bring up them squirrel-love-making story again and again. He just gets a kick out of their existence, I guess.

Anywho. Today's run was beautiful and sweaty.


Yesterday's run was cold and steady, with a crazy beautiful sunrise.

Tuesday's run included blinding fog and fast(er) times, as well as a super quick, crazy delicious lunch that went like this: throw two (homemade) frozen lentil patties in Tupperware, spoon in some cooked quinoa, grab a handful or two of frozen green beans and corn, plop a medium tomato on top, half of a red bell pepper, with a fourth of an avocado, half a lime, and some red pepper flakes. Lunch time here? Microwave that bad boy. Mix it all up, crumbling the lentil patties. Mash the avocado w/lime and eat with a smile. It was brilliantly good, and put together in less than 5 minutes. YES!


I just now ate a most incredible chocolate green monster made with beet greens post-run just now, making my tummy a very happy fella on a Saturday mornin'.

And, to top it all of, I ran into a friend at the lake today. We chatted about running and injuries, and it wasn't until after she left that I realized how my green monsters tend to fill in the sides of each individual tooth in my mouth, and that I most likely had chocolate-colored beet green bits filling my chompers, aaand that I didn't even think to clean them before I ran into anyone. Sigh. Oh, humility.


Oh, Saturday afternoon's dinner [mozzarella and turkey for him, veggies galore with a side of edamame for me].

Thank You Jesus for today's pain-free run! I give You the rest of this day to You. I love that everything is in Your hands and You are in control. Thank You, Lord!

[God's beautiful gift to us] Peace with be you! My own peace I give to you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled or dismayed.
John 14:27

2 comments:

  1. LOL!!!! if you had green monster bits in your teeth, you hid them well. Or maybe I just wasn't staring intently enough at your mouth. Hhaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a beautiful weekend!! I Loved this post because I could imagine what it was like to be there!! Love the beautiful chocolate shake too- oh my goodness! and that verse- AMEN! Love you sista!

    ReplyDelete