September 3, 2011

Joy is...

Psalm 145. I read it the other day, as my daily devotional referenced it, and I was so glad I did. I wanted to paint a picture with it, type it all over my Facebook and share it with my husband. I wrote it down in my journal, thought about it often, smiled as I re-read it. It's so stinkin' beautiful, you bet I'm sharing it right this very moment:

"I will extol (praise) You, my God, O King, and I will bless Your name forever and ever. Every day I will bless You, and I will praise Your name forever and ever. Great is the Lord, and highly to be praised, and His greatness is unsearchable. One generation shall praise Your works to another, and shall declare Your mighty acts. On the glorious spendor of Your majesty and on Your wonderful works, I will meditate. Men shall speak of the power of Your awesome acts, and I will tell of Your greatness. They shall eagerly utter the memory of Your abundant goodness and will shout joyfully of Your righteousness.

The Lord is gracious and merciful; slow to anger and great in lovingkindness. The Lord is good to all, and His mercies are over all His works. All Your works shall give thanks to You, O Lord, and Your godly ones shall bless You. They shall speak of the glory of Your kingdom and talk of Your power; to make known to the sons of men Your mighty acts and the glory of the majesty of Your kingdom. Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and Your dominion endures throughout all generations.

The Lord sustains all who fall and raises up all who are bowed down. The eyes of all look to You, and You give them their food in due time. You open Your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing.

The Lord is righteous in all His ways and kind in all His deeds. The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth. He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He will also hear their cry and will save them. The Lord keeps all who love Him, but all the wicked He will destroy. My mouth will speak the praise of the Lord, and all flesh will bless His holy name forever and ever."

That chapter does such an amazing job of explaining all that is our God in Heaven - that's why I love it so much! I'm truly contemplating making a poster or something. Or sorting through all the adjectives and nouns, adding a tune, and creating a song I can sing whenever I feel like. So, so, so wonderful.

joy is... running. Pain-free running, aside my hubby, to be specific. I have started slowly, but surely, jogging my way back into running after a foot injury back in April, and things have been going pretty well! I won't lie, having to start from zero was a big test of patience. With my longest distance being 10 miles, (one time, during my half marathon training, right before I got injured after a 5 mile race) it isn't exactly easy to force yourself to take things slow and stop after your hit the 3-mile-mark. But alas, I did. Then I jumped to 3.5 miles, 4, 4.25, 4.5, for the last four months.


I run by kilometers, not miles, because my hubby is from Mexico and kilometers are what I've been taught. That, and, I love how exact they are and how nicely they work with the track (1000 meters = 1 kilometer. Each lap is 400 meters, so 2.5 laps is 1km. I've been going up by about half a kilometer (500 meters) each time I increase distance, which is easy to translate to 1 lap and 100 meters). Hubby decided to be more amazing than He already is and wake up with me at 4:30am twice a week so we can run together at the high school track. This has helped me a lot in staying injury-free (I'd say) because I'm avoiding the hard pavement and running on bouncy turf. I'm a fan! Also, increasing distance is as simple as adding a lap or two every other week, helping me to not to go too far too quickly, provoking injuries.

Saturdays are my long runs at Green Lake in Seattle. I try to keep it cool and maintain a steady, jogging pace, since I'm running for a longer period of time, but I always end up speeding things up (unintentional, I promise!) And breaking personal record times. No complaints there! There's just something about seeing other runners giving it their all, running with their kids, strollers, pets, friends, classmates, spouses... Goodness, man. I can't take how rad it is to run with so much diversity all around, and God's beautiful creation everywhere I look. Joy, I tell you. Pure, perfect joy.


joy is... free kale from work. let me rephrase that, joy is free kale, from a doctor at the pediatric clinic I work at, who has grows loads of vegetables (like everyone else in the world except for me - lame), including kale that is just as large as my face, only twice that, only long ways. oh my kale, you are so beautiful to me. Especially when I blend you up with frozen fruit, a half block of tofu, rolled oats, vanilla and coconut water. oh my bananas.

joy is... eating sushi with my parents after a very long day of running in the sun and shopping at Ikea (aka: Disneyland, just admit it). We were exhausted once we left Ikea, and apparently didn't pack enough snacks for the day. My stomach had a delightful green monster beast inside, his had an almond butter and homemade fig jam sandwich happily digesting, but oh-me oh-my, our insides screamed for more food a couple hours later. And the carrots, kiwis and orange slices didn't do the trick. So when my folks asked if we wanted to go out for sushi, it was a huge blessing. No cooking? Food the second we get back into town? I'll take it! Thanks ma, thank you pa, we are more grateful than you know!
Happy Saturday. Happy sunny day. Happy day of listening to hymns, of being with my love bug, Edu, of trusting in Jesus, of being excited for the future, of spiritual growth, of Christ living and working in my life, of rest, peace, Ikea, sushi, and thanksgiving.

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. This was such a lovely an encouraging post! :) I love that verse. Hope your week is off to a joyful start! :)

    ReplyDelete