September 27, 2011

She Milks Almonds

I once thought that making almond milk would be hard, I would be wasting almonds, it wouldn't taste very good, yet it's too expensive to buy at the store every week. So we tried soy milk, then rice milk, hemp milk, coconut milk. All were pretty pricey from the local grocery store, since we bought individual half-gallon fellas. So what did we do? We discovered Costco, Costco discovered unsweetened rice milk, we discovered this rice milk's price and we ended up drinking a whole lot of carbohydrates.
 

Eduardo and I love our rice milk. We have been purchasing it from Costco for years now, and will never get tired of how much non-dairy milk we are getting for such a nifty price. But every once in a while, we splurge on almond milk at the grocery store. And we love every creamy sip. But after reading so many posts on homemade almond milk, I just had to try it. I couldn't watch so many YouTube videos and not join them. I had to act. I had to soak some nuts, blend them in water, and finally open up that cheese cloth I bought over a year ago (true story). It was time.

I had so much stinkin' fun with this I can hardly contain myself! I used Gena's recipe (hello, beautiful raw blog) and soaked the almonds in water for about 6 hours, mainly because I couldn't wait to make the milk and didn't feel like waiting a whole night before I got to taste this rich stuff. So here it is, lo and behold, almond milk is born. And a happy couple along with that.

 Pure Almond Milk
  • 1 cup almonds, soaked 8-12 hours (or overnight)
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 dates, soaked 4 hours or so
  • 1 tsp vanilla, to taste 
  1. Blend. Strain. Enjoy.

And, with the almond pulp? I made some nutty bars (recipe? lost into the deep, dark abyss that is google search) with almond meal, cinnamon, raisins, nutmeg, applesauce, vanilla, sunflower seeds, almond butter + an oven. I am a happy camper. Now, where can I find 50 pounds of raw almonds for less than our entire month's income? To drink this stuff daily would be a delicious blessing. Maybe I should try hemp milk next time.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm awesome recipe!!! Homemade does taste good! One time I made cashew milk, but several days after, there was that lumpy film left behind. Does this happen to you too? :P have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm awesome recipe!!! Homemade does taste good! One time I made cashew milk, but several days after, there was that lumpy film left behind. Does this happen to you too? :P have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm awesome recipe!!! Homemade does taste good! One time I made cashew milk, but several days after, there was that lumpy film left behind. Does this happen to you too? :P have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete