September 18, 2011

Waffle Sunday

waffles.
As a kid they would often be found on a plate, covered with saran wrap, on the kitchen counter. They were leftovers, calling to be nibbled on at any waking hour of the day. When served fresh, I'd make sure to fill each square with a hint (or a few large hints) of butter, maple syrup (also needed to fill each and every square). The batter came from a box, the syrup was probably sweetened with corn, and the butter was endless.
waffles 2011.

Once I discovered so many delicious food blogs and their diverse ways of doing breakfast, things changed. I attempted waffles many times, but always wanted to make a change or two to the original recipe. This resulted in many waffle messes, broken bits, over-full waffle makers, and me turning to pancakes instead. The first time I made Jessica's recipe I was hooked - I followed it tablespoon to tablespoon. But I, once again, wanted to change things a bit. I tried to calculate the dry\wet ingredient ratio so I could use any flour, any seed, any non-dairy milk, which only leaded to more un-cooked waffles and more messes.
banana, unsweetened cocoa powder, h2o = syrup.

I learned my lesson. So what did I do? I didn't make waffles for over 6 months. Too hard, complicated. I wanted simplicity. It wasn't until two weekends ago that I realized something: this recipe was close to flawless. In order to end up with a plate of almost-perfect waffles, I needed to follow the recipe. So I did. And I have. And that is how Waffle Sunday came about.

Endulge. And don't change a thing:
Dry:
  • 1/4 c. oats
  • 1/2 c. puffed grain cereal
  • 1 T. wheat bran
  • 1 T. (heaping) flour
  • 1 T. wheat germ
  • 1 T. chia seeds
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • cinnamon

Wet:

  • 1 flax egg (1 T. milled flax + 3 T. water, stirred and let sit)
  • 1 T. applesauce
  • 1 1/2 T. greek yogurt (coconut yogurt!)
  • 1/4 c. almond milk
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
all credit goes to Jessica for her waffle recipe!!

oh, and pizza? always follows Waffle Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment