So what did I do about it? I had a few good fruit-binges, stopped exercising at 5:00am, slept for 10 hours every night until my sickly symptoms left me alone, and had vegetables for dinner. It was delicious, and I was definitely humbled by it all. I am not a super-human, I am not immune to the common cold, or any other illness, and that is okay with me.
Here's to catching a cold in the middle of Fall, and feeding it raw veggie soup and a kale salad on the side. And I apologize in advance for the fact that I cannot, for the life of me, find the recipe that inspired the soup. So I relied on my memory alone on exactly what I threw into this dish. In other words, have fun! Hope it tastes good!
Common Cold Green Soup
serves 1 hungry person
raw, vegan, incredible
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/3 white onion
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 lime's juice
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt n' pepper, to taste
- a drizzle of olive oil
- Throw it all in the blender, add more water if necessary
- Give it a taste, mess with the seasonings if needed
- Chill in the fridge for a bit.
- Serve with an incredible salad.
- 1 head kale, washed and stems discarded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 apple, cut into bits
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- Drizzle olive oil and red wine vinegar over raisins in a small bowl, set aside
- Cut kale into bit-sized ribbons, sprinkle with salt and massage with hands until wilted and vibrant in green color (about 2 minutes)
- Add your raisins and the dressing, mix to coat
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds, toss to combine
- Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.