November 8, 2011

Feel Better

 Sometimes it's really easy for me to think that I have built some sort of super human immune system over the past few years, simply from eating a cleaner, more nutrient rich diet. I see others go through the motions of your typical cold and I think, shoot, why don't they just eat an extra handful of carrots a day? Yet, a few weeks ago, I was slapped in the face by a little dude named Reality, and I found myself with a nasty, upper-respiratory virus.

So what did I do about it? I had a few good fruit-binges, stopped exercising at 5:00am, slept for 10 hours every night until my sickly symptoms left me alone, and had vegetables for dinner. It was delicious, and I was definitely humbled by it all. I am not a super-human, I am not immune to the common cold, or any other illness, and that is okay with me.



Here's to catching a cold in the middle of Fall, and feeding it raw veggie soup and a kale salad on the side. And I apologize in advance for the fact that I cannot, for the life of me, find the recipe that inspired the soup. So I relied on my memory alone on exactly what I threw into this dish. In other words, have fun! Hope it tastes good!

Common Cold Green Soup
serves 1 hungry person
raw, vegan, incredible 
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1/3 white onion
  • 1/4 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours
  • 1 handful fresh cilantro
  • 1 lime's juice
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1 tsp garlic
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • salt n' pepper, to taste
  • a drizzle of olive oil
  1. Throw it all in the blender, add more water if necessary
  2. Give it a taste, mess with the seasonings if needed
  3. Chill in the fridge for a bit.
  4. Serve with an incredible salad.
 Massaged Kale with Apple
serves 2-3

  • 1 head kale, washed and stems discarded
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 apple, cut into bits
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
  1. Drizzle olive oil and red wine vinegar over raisins in a small bowl, set aside
  2. Cut kale into bit-sized ribbons, sprinkle with salt and massage with hands until wilted and vibrant in green color (about 2 minutes)
  3. Add your raisins and the dressing, mix to coat
  4. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds, toss to combine
  5. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

1 comment: