December 28, 2011

Butternut Squash Mac

Oh my goodness gracious, I can't believe I didn't post this recipe the first second I tasted it a few months ago. I had seen dozens of Butternut Squash Mac recipes floating around the blog world over the past year, and I agreed it was a clever idea, but... to make it myself? To attempt such a thing? I couldn't imagine. It wasn't until an issue of Family Circle magazine appeared at the clinic I work at with a large photo of macaroni and cheese on the cover, a photo that makes the viewer drool almost instantly. It had bacon, it had cheese gooey and ooey-ing all over the bowl, but when you looked at the recipe, the first thing that catches your eye is the secret ingredient: butternut squash. My mom, a head-over-heels cheese & bacon fan felt quite turned off by this squashy ingredient and said something along the lines of, "why would they ruin my macaroni and cheese with that?" in a joking manner. But I took it as a challenge, a goal, I saw a glance into the future that is: Housewarming party, our home, our food, my butternut squash macaroni. I researched, found Oh She Glow's simple recipe, and went to the grocery store a little while later.
 
Veganlicious Butternut Squash Macaroni
adapted by Oh She Glows
serves about 4

Ingredients
  • 1 fresh butternut squash
  • Olive oil
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened nut milk
  • 1 tbsp or cornstarch
  • 6-8 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard (I used regular mustard & a hint of chili powder)
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • a pinch of salt & pepper, to taste
  • 4 servings brown rice noodles     
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400*
  2. Cut your butternut squash in half, place open side down in a glass dish and fill with 1" water, cover with foil and bake for about an hour, or until cooked through
  3. Cook brown rice pasta according to boxes instructions (usually a good 8 minute boil, then rinse with cold water to stop cooking, set aside)
  4. Remove butternut squash from glass dish, let cool and remove seeds with large spoon.
  5. Bring a large pot to medium heat, drizzle with a bit of olive oil
  6. Scoop out butternut squash flesh, discarding the skin, drop flesh into olive-oil coated pot.
  7. Add remaining ingredients, whisk to combine and *optional* let simmer until it thickens.
  8. Pour cooked rice pasta into cheesy goodness, stir to coat noodles.
  9. Sprinkle with paprika and serve. Or, alternatively: bake with paprika on top for about 15 minutes at 375* for a casserole-like crunchy top. Serve family style and enjoy!
How excellent is Your loving kindness,
O God! Therefore the children of men
put their trust under the shadow of
Your wings.
Psalm 36:7

No comments:

Post a Comment