December 29, 2011

Oh My Pumpkin Pie

This was probably the most beautiful Christmas I have ever experienced! The conversations were fun, the photo-taking from beginning to end - which I loveee, and the food was wonderful. Celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, my Savior and constant Companion, is best celebrated surrounded by family, there is no doubt it my mind! It's amazing how He was sent by the Creator of this world, God himself, to live the life of a servant and tell everyone about His Father's promise of eternal life - it's amazing!! I'm so thankful to be blessed with such a loving family, a loving God, and this lovely life.
Now, let's get into a little pumpkin pie, shall we? Yes. Yes we shall.



Almost-Rawlicious Pumpkin Pie
recipe adapted from Gena at Choosing Raw & Nathalie at The Raw Foods Witch
makes 1 delightful pie

Ingredients for the crust:
  • 2 cup walnuts (can use almost any nut!)
  • 1/2 cup dates  *soaked for a few hours
  • dash of sea salt
Blend ingredients in high speed blender or food processor. Press into a pie pan (I used an aluminum one for easy removal for cutting)

Ingredients for pie gooey love:
  • 2 cups pumpkin, canned or freshly baked, or butternut squash, sweet potato (or, in my case: 1 small golden acorn squash and 1 cup canned pumpkin) ***this is the only part of the pie that you cook. you can also peel, de-seed and dice up some pumpkin, dehydrate it and soak it for a 100% raw version of this pie!!!***
  • 1 cup soaked dates
  • 1/2 cup soaked & washed Irish Moss (I couldn't get a hold of any so I used a handful of soaked cashews and it tasted wonderfully!)
  • 1/2 cup nut milk of choice for blending
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp dried ginger
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 1 dash of vanilla
Throw everything in a blender. Pour over pie crust and freeze until ready to be served! I also paired it with a cashew whipped cream that consisted of soaked cashews, dates and vanilla - but it tasted more like a thick cashew butter than a whipped cream - I'm going to work on tweeking the recipe until it it's more "whippy" and then I'll share its sweetness with the world! Take the pie out of the freezer about 10-15 minutes before serving, then remove mainly-frozen pie from pie pan and slice. Best served pretty much frozen! It tastes like pumpkin pie ice cream and I enjoyed it so much more than the completely defrosted version. Trust me!

My beautiful family on Christmas night!
My aunt and uncle with their DIY Christmas gifts

brother & his gf - they left before the group shot so I had to post this awesome photo of them!
Praise God from whom all blessings flow, He deserves all praise, glory and honor for all that He does, the love that He gives and the people He purposely places in our lives at just the right time. This season filled me with so much joy, thank You Lord!

And Christ died for all,
that those who live might no longer
live for themselves but for HIM,
who for their sake died and was raised.
2 Corinthians 5:15

No comments:

Post a Comment