January 7, 2012

Guayaba and Papaya

"Keep your eyes on Jesus. Focus on your Savior when life throws obstacles at you, and He will gently guide you step by step on His path for you. Make God your primary awareness, trus Him to get you through any rough patches. His presence enables you to face each day with confidence." Sarah Young, Jesus Calling


Blessed be GOD, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them, which are in any trouble, by the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4





We are in Mexico City, Mexico. The morning was breezy and cold, the sun hasn't stopped shining strong and warm since around 10 o' clock, and I just ate grilled cactus, while everyone else dove into chicken enchiladas.

It has only been 24 hours since we arrived here, and I am so thankful for all God has done! We were greeted by 20+ cousins, aunts and uncles, and a delicious bowl (or two) of pozole with a vibrant plate of greens, packed with slivered almonds, sprouts, all 3 colors of bell peppers, and a jamaica dressing. Bedtime was 12:00am, wake up time naturally happened at 7:30am, and we went for a run at 9:00am.
Elevation is very high here (more than 8,000 feet!) which makes running a little less than easy, even for the lovers of the sport. So, needless to say, I didn't attempt or plan on attempting to break any personal records. Nor did I decide to run a specific distance or for a certain time - I just wanted to jog 'till I couldn't jog (or breathe) no more! And that's what I, we, all did. We just moved - and it was wonderful! The heat started to make itself more apparent, and I quickly realized that catching up on the latest nutrition/running news with my brother-in-law wasn't the best idea. Breathing became less effortless around kilometer 3, so I simply snuck in a few sentences whenever I felt the desire to, then quickly shut my mouth and focused on everything but the hard-to-breathe-want-to-quit voice in my head.

10 kilometers, 6.2 miles, 59 minutes and 17 seconds. "What time do you usually do?" my bro asked me, to which I smiled at responded, "between 53 (PR) and 57 minutes". And I didn't mind a bit. I may have been record-breaking speedy 7 days ago, but today was twice as enjoyable. I mean, I'm running in MEXICO! This cannot be compared with Green Lake, although beautiful, peaceful and splendid, it truly can't. Mexico is too wonderful to have a man-made lake take its place in my heart, too dang wonderful.

Then the satisfaction of the fruit-addiction deep down inside of me was fed, fed real good. My mami's classic juice was blended for everyone to share: pineapple, apple and parsley. With that was a plate of papaya, which was only my seeeccooond time tasting the rich fruit - last time being 2 years ago in Mexico at a small restaurant and it tasted like stinky something or other which I thought was its normal taste only to be told it had gone bad after I gave it two chances to become friends with my taste buds - also a guayaba, a sweet, yellow-fleshed fruit with small crunchy seeds inside that are fully edible and only add to the guayaba experience, a handful of green grapes, aaand freshly squeezed orange juice from the juicing neighbor only two houses from us.

And then I realized, with a belly full of wonderful vitamins and minerals, that God has truly blessed me. This family is so loving, so willing to make sacrifice after sacrifice for their children, so open and welcoming to their daughter of three years, and I'm so thankful. That, and, having so many colorful fruits and vegetables in season year-round is mightly fantastic! It is as if you all time favorite Farmers Market were open all. year. round. It is a dream!


Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.  
1 Thessalonians 5:18


Cris, Pablo, Edu and myself right before movie night!

5 comments:

  1. Makes me miss Mexico!
    Have a terrific time with family and delicious food, Nicolee-olee! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quote at the beginning is like EXACTLY what I needed to hear today. Thanks for posting! Have a fantastic trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so great! Pretty views! And delicious looking food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wowww the view is gorrrgeous!! And how cool is that!! I've been going through sarah youngs devotional too~:D Have fun and take care!! Love all the foods here, everything looks delish and refreshing~mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, that guy creeping behind you two in the first picture (over Eduardo's right shoulder) looks like the Seahawks former coach, Mike Holmgren. Was he going to Mexico too? :-)

    Love, Uncle Greg

    ReplyDelete