March 23, 2012

Oh, Pregnancy: My First Raw Carrots


Something of a miracle happened yesterday. After months of struggling to even think about raw vegetables, I felt something inside of me that I just couldn't ignore. You got it, folks, I was tempted to eat a raw baby carrot from a store-bought veggie tray. This is a big deal for me. You see, for the past 4 years or so, I've brought a handful of two of baby carrots to work every day. Their sweet taste, crunchy texture and power to sooth hunger 'till lunch or dinner, was divine to me. Once I got pregnant, my taste buds started to change in hard-to-comprehend ways. For example, if it was a vegetable, and it was raw, I would turn away in disgust and nausea, holding my mouth and my gut while I ran for some french bread to cleanse my pallet. Soon enough, I decided that I should simply accept the fact that baby wanted their veggies steamed or stir fried, and raw vegetables were no longer a part of my life. I still had a hankering for raw fruit, a big hankering, in fact, but veggies were a no-go unless they had sear marks on them (or even burnt edges, I confess).

Anyhow. Let's just go back to the magic: I ate a raw carrot. No, I ate about 15 raw carrots. Praise God from whom all blessings (big and small) flow. Yay!!

Also a miracle: eating greens again!! Kale Waldorf Salad: see wholefoods.com for recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment