May 22, 2012

Delightful: Raw Vegan Garden Wraps

I can't help but share this beauty....

The Oh-My-Goodness raw meal:

1. Find yourself 1.5 cups of pumpkin seeds, soak them for 6 hours.
2. Find 1/2 cup brazil nuts.
3. Purchase fresh basil, parsley and dill.
4. Gather some large collard green leaves, fillet their stems like Natalia KW does on the video found on her website.
5. Throw a handful or two of baby carrots, or some large carrots, into a food processor with the shredder insert attached. Or, you can do this with your basic hand shredder.
6. Cut about 5 medium-sized tomatoes into thick strips (in half, then lie them cut side down and cut into long strips).
7. Find fresh lemon juice, half a cup, as well as a garlic clove, some onion, and salt n' pepper to taste.
8. Throw the brazil nuts into your food processor (not with the carrots), add the lemon juice to smooth things around, the pumpkin seeds, garlic, all fresh herbs, and salt n' pepper. A little water or olive oil may help make this smoother.
9. Take your collard green, place a few good tablespoons of the herb-filled pesto in the center, with a handful of shredded carrots and a few tomato slices.
10. Wrap those babies like burritos (aww..swaddling!) And enjoy the madness, joy, and wonder of the flavors!



PS: original recipe from Natalia KW's website *100% of the credit goes to her!*, but I've edited it a few times simply out of personal preference. And because I'm pregnant and can't handle raw onion, and because my hubby can't handle raw garlic breath so I hardly add any of that business.
 
Awesome: Even my omnivore mom + dad loved these wraps! Papa and I agree that the bites you get in the beginning and end of the collard green with little pesto are strong simply because collards = powerful punch of a green in their slightly bitter flavor. But it just takes the taste buds some getting used to, right? Eating leaves that taste like they were pulled right out of a forest and stuck on your plate is seriously business!
 
Goodness me, this recipe makes the art of eating only raw plants seem like the most incredible, flavorful experience one could ever be part of. Dear baby, want to be raw vegan with me? I don't know if he/she will buy it. After all, our addiction to home-cooked pinto beans straight out of the pressure cooker is too delicious to say goodbye to. But a few raw meals like this one are going to be ah-mazing once Seattle decides to shine some sun 'round here and cooking turns into the last thing I wanna do (especially with a huge baby bump making my internal and external body temperature reach incredible heights).

Happy almost Wednesday (and 24 weeks with baby)!


Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." Genesis 1:29

1 comment:

  1. These sound DELICIOUS! I love the idea of wrapping them in greens!

    ReplyDelete