June 11, 2012

The Joys of a Dehydrator


 2.5 weeks ago was my birthday. My sweet hubby surprised me with my first dehydrator, and this mommy and her baby devoured increeeedible seaweed crackers for 7 days straight. Can you say: carrot almond pate with a tang of lime juice and a hint of garlic? That's how you describe fantastic flavor, I must say! These crackers were out of this wooorld good. Co-workers tried them and were amazed at their divine-ness.

 

 

*side note: dehydrator was raving about how it can make beef jerky in no time at all, even came with seasoning packets! This has to be why hubby picked it for me, no? Since he's such a fan of home made jerky? no? not so much? it still made me laugh! mmm....sodium nitrite... how divine!

I found the recipe on rawlawyer's blog and was intrigued by the sight of: 1 cup of lemon juice and 6 cloves of garlic in the list of ingredients. I swapped the lemon juice for lime juice and decided to go for a tablespoon of garlic powder so my garlic-hating hubby wouldn't be too disgusted by my breath all week (side note: he still was). I used half almonds, half pumpkin seeds n' a handful of walnuts (since they're pricey fellas) and blended them with a cup or so of diced carrots. Oh my pateee!




Then a little spreading goes down on each piece of nori (I think mine is toasted nori, so these crackers weren't really raw for me, huh?) And I dehydrated the bad boys for 14 hours at 105*. Oh memorial day, I woke up and walked downstairs to a delicious smell of ocean and garlic hummus - or so it seemed - in the best way. They were crispy, chewy, easy to cut into squares, and hung out in little jars on my counter for a week. I brought them to work and they were the perrrrfect mid-morning snack! Love, true love.


In other dehydrating adventures: I tried to rock some raw bread for sammies, but let it dehydrate too long (12hrs, flipped, 12 more since it seemed like it was super moist still) and ended up with what I call "taco taco bread" but it's more like a crumbly cracker - still tasted SO good! Exactly like a taco, hence its name. and theeeen I went for a sweet flaxseed cracker. I used banana as a sweetener with raisins for extra sweetness, and tossed all the ingredients in a food processor. The recipe was inspired by a gal's YouTube video recipe and it was suuper easy (any recipe where you just "throw everything in the food processor" tends to be a winner in my mind). I ended up calling it fruit leather, since after 24hrs it was still bendable and not-so-cracker-like.



Taco Taco Bread - dehydrated for 24 hours or so at 105*

* 2 cups soaked, sprouted buckwheat
* 1 cup ground flaxseed
* 1/2 red bell pepper
* 1 diced zucchin
* onion powder

Banana Flax Fruit Leather - dehydrated 24hrs at 105*

*2 cups flaxseeds, soaked overnight
*1 banana
*1/2 cup raisins
*1/4 cup goji berries
*1 tbsp cinnamon

oh dehydrator, how I enjoy thy existence! Currently I am soaking more buckwheat for Gena's raw granola, and sprouting some sunflower seeds for a mock-tuna pate for sammies and lettuce wraps! Get excited!

Oh, and happy 27 weeks, baby. Baby post soon to follow :)

1 comment: