June 27, 2012

Week 29: Acorn Squash Baby

Week 29
Baby is the size of a (giant) acorn squash!
**Average size: 15.2-16.7 inches, 2.5-3.8 lb.**


But let all who take refuge in You rejoice
Let them ever sing for joy,
and spread Your protection over them,
that those who love Your name may exult You.
Psalm 5:11

This week we had an appointment with my rock star midwife, Amanda, and she answered loads of my questions. So this post is themed "answers with the midwife" on her behalf. First, she took and sent my bloods away for an iron and vitamin D test. We chatted about how I've been feeling and under what circumstances should I page the girls at the office. She measured wee-baby and listened their heart. 


Amazing fun:
* From here on out we're going to have every-two-weeks appointments! So exciting! Home stretch, here we coooome!
* We need to start looking at carseats this month just incase baby decides to arrive early.
* The office just found themselves an ultrasound machine, and spent all of today doing free ultrasounds for their patients - so we were able to see our little monkey again!

Baby decided it was a good day to suck on their umbilical cord, even though it looks like they're blowing a spit bubble! I love seeing baby's profile, it makes papa-to-be and me want to hold them and meet them so much!


Questions:

  1. What's the deal on heavy lifting at work?
  2. What if I don't birth the placenta right away?
  3. What is done to prevent tearing? Should I have a water birth? Would an episiotomy ever be performed at home?
  4. I'm uncomfortable on my side, is it okay sleeping on my back if I don't feel any dizziness or discomfort?

Answers:

  1. Heavy lifting can be dangerous with pregnancy because of the risks of weakening the pelvic floor. Lifting can require a lot of abdominal and back muscles, so you have to be careful with anything over 30lbs. I took this as, "be careful" but also am keeping in mind that keeping up with the kegals should strengthen the pelvic floor muscles as well. Also, if I'm working so hard to keep my kegal exercises consistent in order to strengthen them muscles, I shouldn't be heavy lifting at work since it'll probably just ruin everything down there and cause all of my hard work to be useless. 
  2. Some women take up to a full hour (or more) to birth the placenta naturally. In many hospitals, waiting anything over 30 minutes is crazy business and they would then jump on in to help mom with the placenta's birth. If there is no bleeding occurring, there is no reason to rush the second birth and thus they would simply wait. In the end, if no placenta greets the world post-baby greeting the world, they would extract it manually (that's with their hands!) and it does hurt. Oh joy! I'm praying that it will make its way out of my naturally. We had a lovely lady come into the pediatrician's office with her newborn and her midwife did have to manually remove her placenta. Poor lady could hardly walk and the baby was 5 days old by then. Let's give it up to oxytocin and its power to contract the uterus and push our that placenta!  
  3. To prevent tearing, a crockpot is nearby, full of warm water and wash clothes. The wash clothes will be placed on the perineum to soften and loosen it for birth. Squatting while birthing isn't recommended, for gravity works in your favor and tends to push baby out very rapidly, which can cause tearing of the perineum. An episiotomy would not be performed at home. A water birth would help with tearing prevention, as well as helps mom to cope with the contractions during labor and calm her down. Having a tub full of warm water is recommended (tub should cover mom completely) even if water birth isn't planned. Many woman hit the wall towards the end of labor and wish to go to a hospital for an epidural, and sometimes switching from the bed (or couch, floor, where ever) to the warm water is very helpful for the birthing mother and the strength of the contractions. I was kind of looking forward to skipping the birthing tub fee and squatting somewhere to have this baby, but this made me want to look into renting a tub and enjoying all of its perks. Also, I would most definitely prefer natural tearing to an episiotomy since the healing time is so much quicker. And I figure, if God created this baby's head (or shoulders, or entire body) to be that big, well, He can also provide me with enough strength to push that baby out - let me tear if I need to! Go perineum, go! I can imagine warm wash cloth doing insanely delightful wonders, as well. So I'm very appreciative for that.
  4. Many woman well into pregnancy feel much more comfortable sleeping on their backs at night. Our bodies do a magnificent job of turning to the side if any discomfort occurs during sleep. A body pillow is helpful for many woman because you can wrap it between your legs, under one of your arms, across your back and under your neck. The "you can't lie on your back while pregnant" rule comes from cases of weight of the uterus pushing on the vein that pumps blood from your lower body to your heart, which can cause dizziness for mom and eventually can affect baby. Women will feel discomfort way before baby does - this made me feel good, because honestly, without any body pillow in my ownership, I can't handle sleeping on my side very much. Everything just flops over and weighs me way down. I love sleeping on my back but it's as if I feel nervous and guilty while doing it, even though it feels so insanely comfortable. I am looking to invest in a nice body pillow, though, or just continue to have a pillow between my knees when I decide to sleep on my side. 
Well there it was! It was an awesome appointment, like they all have been. And seeing baby today in the ultrasound was such a blessing. They check his/her heart, lungs, kidney, fingers, the amniotic fluid surrounding baby, his/her "parts" (they warned us and I happily looked away - it was funny because not even the midwife knew what she was looking at right away, and baby kept kicking when they were looking between their legs - as if they knew that their gender is a surprise until birth - making it hard for the technician and the midwife to get a peak! We return in 2 weeks for another appointment, and from here on out I will be looking into a free 4D ultrasound in our state, that a friend told me about. Although, I could definitely wait until their birthday to meet them! We'll see what happens.


The Eats:
Buckwheat with almond milk, cinnamon, raisins, homemade fig jam, almond butter, the works.
Our new favorite dessert: Dark Chocolate Carob Blizzard! Walnuts or cashews, almond milk, h2o, frozen banana, frozen strawberries, ice, extra dark cocoa powder (unsweetened), carob powder, crumbled up peppermint patty from the freezer

this only cost us twelve dollars! I love me a little farmer's market :)
tofu, brown rice, veg, nutritional yeast, Italian seasoning, oh goodness.
chia gel with cocoa powder and their friends!
I love me an awesome Groupon! $16 for this box of organic local fruit - it's been tasting increeedibly good!
We found super nicely priced unsweetened shredded coconut (Bob's Redmill brand) on Amazon.com and adding it to some chia gel and muesli, with hemp hearts and Rainier cherries, was such a good idea this morning! This breakfast was fabuloso!
 Happy almost thirty weeks pregnant!!!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh!!! That's so exciting Nicole!!! The little one is growing so fast :) You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete