July 26, 2012

Week 32.5: A Real Squash Baby


Week 32 (for real, this time)
baby is the size of a 34 week in utero baby!
(Butternut Squash!)




So yesterday I had my official 32 week appointment with the lovely midwife. The best part about it? I am measuring 34 weeks even though baby is only "32"! This is radzolla, makes me feel like I am so close to giving birth to our little sprout! I saw Cindie for the first time, which was nice since she was the only one I hadn't had an appointment with yet. She is the lovely lady who started Midwife Seattle years ago, and I love that she has a huge heart for Christ as well, which she states on her bio on the website. Eduardo told me at the end of the appointment that he hopes she is the gal who attends baby's birth, which would be double fabulous since she also speaks Spanish! Such a joyous surprise to hear her tell us this!

Anywhoo I suppose our calculations have been off a bit (ours being my mommw and mine) since we thought I was 33 weeks pregnant this week! I technically have 4 due dates now - all in September and all making me confused. One is the 5th, based off of the "first day of your last period" rule. The next due date is September 19th, this is based off of my ultrasound at 20 weeks - when baby was measuring bigger than we thought. Then we have September 15th, my first due date given to me at the beginning of all of this pregnancy business, based off of the 9 week ultrasound. And lastly we have September 17th - what the midwives have decided and they stuck with it. So I call it a winner, and it calls me 32 weeks and 2 days pregnant.

Confused? Me too. Well, not really. Amused is a better word for it. It's just silly how we get our minds fixed on a date (I loved saying September 10th was the due date) and then it all changes suddenly and we're forced to tell everyone that baby is expected to appear a week later. I also read that it's better to stick with that later due date in my mind and place that in the mind of family and friends so that they aren't calling me non-stop, asking, "is baby here? How about now? Now? Do you think it'll happen tonight? Tomorrow? How late are they now?" Which I can imagine getting very tiresome.

Maybe I should simply tell everyone that baby is expected to arrive the last day of September. That's playing it safe, wouldn't you think? Especially because there's the rumor that first-time mommy's seem to give birth later than said due date. We'll see! I take comfort in knowing that God knows baby Carrillo's birth day. As well as the hour, their hair color, eye color, the shape of their nose, ears, how much they weigh, how long they are from the tip of his/her toes to the crown of their head.

"For You formed my inward parts, You knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are Your works; my soul knows it very well." Psalm 139:13-14


In other week 32 news: I'm feeling more and more pregnant each day. There are new aches as the baby grows and size and weight, I'm actually waking up a few times each night, trying to find that golden position of comfort bliss (and not really finding it) and small portions at each meal are a must since my stomach has no room to stretch. Walking breaks at work are intense in between my long sitting-at-the-desk moments (ah, the life of a receptionist), but the 30 minute walks on my lunch break feel amazing! I always break a sweat and feel great afterward, in an exhausted, stretchy type of pregnant way.

I have been trying to be consistent with the Bradley Method's recommended daily exercises, as well. Let's prep this body for birth, shall we? A mix of tailor sitting (sitting with an open-ish criss-cross-applesauce position with knees touching ground if possible), squats (stretch that perineum!), cat/cow back n' leg stretching (see:yoga), and hip swaying (feels SO good, not part of Bradley but a big part of relieving a sore lower back) and kegals (google them and do them for the rest of your life!). It's getting serious here, folks, and exciting. Not to say I'm expecting to be a joyous, singing, hip-swaying mama in labor, I know this business is going to hurt like madness, but I'm still stoked to give a natural birth a try. God's will be done over mine! I leave it completely in His hands, and trust His plan for us.

To the people in my life that, when hearing that I am hoping to have a medication-free birth at home, tell me, "are you serious? Do you have ANY idea the type of pain giving birth is? It is, by far, the worst pain I have ever felt in my entire life!!! That epidural is a life-saver, I don't think I could have made it without it."

I say:
Well of course it's painful - God promises it will be!

"To the woman [God] said, 'I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children...." Genesis 3:16

but I really believe that He also made woman TO birth, and we CAN do it without any medical intervention. It is NOT easy, no one ever expects it to be, but I'm ready and hopeful. I would love for people to keep those comments to themselves, they are only sure-fire ways to discourage a soon-to-be-mama and bring her down. Le sigh.

Honestly, though, all I think about is meeting this baby. A friend of mine (well, two actually) from work are expecting their baby's arrivals this and next month, while I'm the "2 months left!" one - and it's a killer, must say! Once their wee-ones are born, all I'm going to do is looooong for our baby to greet the world. I mean, how can you be pregnant at the same time as other girls, watch their babies being born, and not wish your babe was here, too? Impossible.

Off with the writing, on to the food!
easy dinner is served! homemade lentil burger from the freezer, mashed avocado with lime, mustard, tomato, romaine and collard leaf, green bean and red pepper flakes

Easy breakfast is served! Green juice (pineapple, orange, lemon, ginger, kale) with apple and banana drowning in almond butter, cinnamon, raisins, hemp hearts, wheat germ and oats!
Weekend breakfast! Simply chia seeds soaked in almond milk, quinoa flour, carob powder and blueberries (baking powder, cinnamon) with almond butter, banana, blueberries and fig jam.
blueberry carob pancakes again ! with shredded coconut!

Dinner with my lovely parents: green cleanse! menu says: Helpful in removing toxins, reducing inflammation, lowering blood pressure, strengthening the liver, stomach & kidneys. Cucumber, celery, kale, parsley, spinach, lemon.

raw "pizza" with salad. oh goodness me this was so delicious! and yes, that looked, tasted, and felt like bacon. hmmm... menu says: A savory raw pizza topped with curry cherry chutney, fresh sprouts, our savory cashew cheese, and dehydrated tamari date onion rings.

mommy's dish! menu says: Flavorful artichoke pate, cashew cheese and vegenaise grilled on molasses wheat bread, topped with cucumbers and sprouts.

papa's dish! recommended by my used-to-be-meat-loving husband who now always asks me for lentil burgers!! menu says: Seattle’s Best Veggie Burger is accentuated by our delectable special sauce and served on a grilled
panino roll with vegenaise, marinated onions, cucumber, sprouts and bread & butter pickles.
A treat by the folks, this was heavenly! menu didn't say anything, it was sold separately :) the bottom was a nutty crust - walnuts and dates I would say, with coconut butter maybe. middle was fascinating! basil, cashew cream, dates or some type of sweetener - maybe straight up sugar, who knows! top was creamy and rich strawberry, also probably a cashew base. incredible.

 the end!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh you look so amazing!!! :)

    And those blueberry carob pancakes sound tasty!

    ReplyDelete