August 21, 2012

Baby Shower Joys!

I have to admit, I was very nervous for baby's first shower. The main reason I stopped inviting people to birthday parties of mine was simply because I'm not 100% comfortable surrounded by awesome friends who are celebrating me, my life, my age, or gifting me with things I don't deserve, or really need. What if I can't entertain them? What if they are bored? What if they only show up because they don't want to hurt my feelings and deny the invite? What if they really think I smell but force their sorry bodies to drive to my house? These are the thoughts of an insecure teenager, I tell you. But apparently they followed me well into my 20s, because those are the same type of thoughts that run through my mind when thinking of showing up for my own baby's shower.



But not just one baby shower. This blessed baby Carrillo was showered five times by incredibly loving, kind, giving, serving people in his/her mama's (and papa's) life. It's been a very humbling experience, full of joy. As I arrived for the first shower back in June, I truly felt like I was attending someone else's baby shower. It was a surreal experience as I tried to come to grips with the fact that the newborn onesie in my hands is for our future baby, but got easier each time. And to receive gifts that are for someone else? It's amazing! I know it sounds weird, but honestly hubby and I aren't in need of any gifts - this new life that we're waiting for is the one in need. Of at least one diaper. Of a bed. Of a place to sit while we drive. And goodness me, they have received more than they need. I'm pondering the idea of sending a box off to someone else's baby in need (or baby to be). And thanking GOD for the blessings He pours into our lives. The people we know, the friendships we have made, the family He has given us. We're so undeserving, and He is so full of Grace.

Here are itty-bitty recaps of each shower in photo form. Bring on the laughs, the games, the food, the hugs, and the baby clothes!

 family + friends shower!


 co-workers and friends shower!




church family + friends shower!
 

hubby's work friends + family shower!

Friends Outdoor Baby Shower!



Praise the Lord, my soul;
all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the Lord, my soul,
and forget not all his benefits—
who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Psalm 103:1-5

1 comment:

  1. You are so cute!!! It sounds like you guys had fun celebrating :) I know sometimes it can feel awkward to be the center of attention, but it's an act of love letting others celebrate with you :) So happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete