October 24, 2012

6 Weeks Postpartum

Whew! I had no idea what to expect when we walked into this appointment. This is the appointment where you get yourself a lovely exam by your OB, family practice doc or midwife. They look at all your parts to make sure everything is healing well after birthing a giant baby, and if anything looks off they will take the necessary steps to fix you. I was excited to be able to run, like instantly - out of the office to the car then tackle 5 miles once I got home - as well as get the OK to take part in high intensity interval training (an example: jump in the air with your knees bent, once you land do two push ups right away then jump in the air again with your arms extended. Repeat for 50 seconds, then take a 10 second break before you proceed to some other insane move...).

First, we had a baby wardrobe change and hubby and I said hello to this content little cutie!



Santiago and I made a whole day out of the event and decided to head to the mall for some nursing attire ('cause smelling like sour-ish milk 24/7 isn't my cup of tea!) and maybe tackle Whole Foods before we head over to grandma's job (she's my side kick for all of these appointments) and greet the co-workers that I love and miss to bits. I packed loads of snacks in the form of fruits and carrots, as well as a coconut oat bar from the freezer, and my little sprout and I left for a grand adventure (after eating like 5 gallons of milk on his part, of course)!


The mall and visit hour at work were fun & successful! Santi ate a few more times then we headed to see our favorite midwives. Grandma turned instant body-building rock star that carried a 13 pound baby and the ca-raaazzy heavy car seat across a 4 mile trek (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating....)  and we waited for our turn with one of the midwives, Amanda.


Then came a discussion on what we were going to do with regards birth control and "how are you feeling?" ~ Followed by the ever-so-wonderful physical exam!  Oh, man. I did a quick drawing to put it all together, so that I can avoid going on for hours about what my body is lookin' like inside & out now that I've carried and birthed an 8 pound child. In a nutshell, this is what my abs look like now:


Which means I have to do ab movements with a towel wrapped around me and pulled tight to bring the muscles back together (I already found awesome videos on more "diastasis recti" curing moves!) Yes, friends. I have a case of diastasis recti, which Wikipedia tells me is this:

Diastasis recti (also known as abdominal separation) is a disorder defined as a separation of the rectus abdominis muscle into right and left halves.Normally, the two sides of the muscle are joined at the linea alba at the body midline. It is essentially a cosmetic condition, with no associated morbidity or mortality.



Diastasis of this muscle occurs principally in two populations: newborns and pregnant women.
  • In the newborn, the rectus abdominis is not fully developed and may not be sealed together at midline. Diastasis recti is more common in premature and African American newborns.
  • In pregnant or postpartum women, the defect is caused by the stretching of the rectus abdominis by the growing uterus. It is more common in multiparous women due to repeated episodes of stretching. When the defect occurs during pregnancy, the uterus can sometimes be seen bulging through the abdominal wall beneath the skin.
 Doesn't it sound like fun?!

I was also given the news that no jumping, jogging or running should go down for a while (boo!) because I have been having a little bit of "oh snap I gotta go to the bathroom!!!! NOW!" moments which automatically told midwife that my bladder is now in an awkward, unnatural place... and after the exam it was all confirmed. I have a weak pelvic floor, and jumping would only cause my bladder to fall on the floor (or something). So, friends... this is my new pelvic floor:

So I'm going to simply continue to go for walks, enjoy Google's endless supply of videos on how to strengthen my pelvic floor and repair my awkward abdominal muscles, and eat lots of plants. I am also excited about tackling squats and light weights since they don't effect my bladder or ab region, which I tried a bit of while Santi was playing today - woohoo! Exercise while baby is stimulated by lights and singing toys? Score!

Onto food!
Cauliflower crust pizza with veggies sauteed in nutritonal yeast for an oozing cheese sauce, with tomorrow's dish of balsamic tofu and sweet potatoes (recipe here) and raw pumpkin pie made with coconut milk and chia (recipe here! and my addiction to putting fruit in jars. Happy Wednesday!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you can't do as much exercise as you planned! How long should it take for everything to get back to normal?

    I've heard so much about this cauliflower crust pizza!! I think i might have to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, baby and I have been doing aerobics on the stairs in the house and singing the ABCs :) I can return to running n' such once I'm having no bathroom issues & the abs thing I will take week by week, there is a way to test it by lying down flat and pulling your chin to chest to feel the gab between your abs, once the gap is gone I'm gold!

      Delete
  2. So sorry about the Diastasis recti! That really does stink. Have you thought about maybe going to see a physical therapist? I've had some friends that had that and had great success with a PT and pilates specific exercises. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am considering it! Funny thing is that my midwife said in France it is required for all mama's to go trough pelvic floor PT after giving birth - so smart! I just need to look into whether or not my insurance covers it :)

      Delete
    2. I am 17 weeks post partum and have the bladder/pelvic floor issues as well. Mine was actually diagnosed as a prolapse. It sucks because like you, I was anxious to run, do HIIT workouts etc. I have been doing light weights and swimming but I miss doing the intense workouts. Please keep us updated on your healing.

      Delete