October 31, 2012

7 Hours: Uninterrupted Sleep!

Tuesday-ay-ay!

It's true, the little rolly Santiago fell asleep in his padre's arms, and stayed asleep for seven full hours. No one woke up to see what was going on, we simply let it happen. Praise God for the gift of nighttime sleep! We had ourselves a happy, alert baby boy at 8:30am. Strangely enough, he was asleep again within a couple hours and stayed asleep 'till past 10! Silly fella!
I diced up some veg the night prior, and some more while he slept, so I could make soup later in the day. I also threw some brown rice in a pot and sprouted beans (from Costco - they cook in 20 minutes!) in a separate pot. I call it "lentil soup with brown rice" - creative, aren't I? So once Santi woke and wanted to play and be held and filled with kisses, I could simply throw the already diced vegetables into a pot with: italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary, let them cook a bit, add the rice n' beans with water and a bay leaf and bam! dinner. Hooray!
 
He sat in my lap and we played with a rattle for a while (okay, maybe it was just me) and sang song after song of goofiness. He has yet to voluntarily grabsaid rattle - but he loves staring at it and being distracted by its loud noise. Seriously, he sat in my lap for over 10 minutes looking at the rattle while I shook it uncontrollably - my arm got tired way before he found himself uninterested. Wrist workout? Yay! There was a moment where I shoved the rattle into his palm and waited to see if he'd grab on - and he did - but he was screaming at that point out of being completely bored and tired of the dang rattle - so I don't know if that counts....
By evening time, I had a crazy sweet tooth, or just felt like eating everything in my kitchen, so I diced up an apple with almond butter, fig jam placed on top and ground flaxseed. Also down the hatch before and after was a large amount of prunes, walnuts and raisins. Can't. Stop. Eating. Dried. Fruit. So. Good. So. Good... soo.... goooood.... and Santiago got pretty fussy, eating and burping and fussing and eating and burping and... repeat. We all (gpa and gma were there by now) agreed it was naptime/bedtime for the little fella, so my mom rocked and swayed him to sleep (after being an awesome mom and grandma and placing a butternut squash in the oven for Wednesday's lunch!). Success! Of course, once they left, we had to take part in the dreaded transfer-baby-to-someone-else's-arms-while-baby-sleeps-peaceful act, and he woke up and cried.

 
Eduardo turned into rockstar dad (cue: rip off pajama shirt and reveal superhero outfit underneath) and decided to bring Santiago upstairs (oh, first we bathed him and he screamed) and rock him to sleep. I gave him all the pointers and tips I know, but told him to do whatever was comfortable for him as papa - and after hearing 10 minutes of crying upstairs, there was complete silence. Santi fell asleep in his padre's arms and stayed asleep like a heavy rock in his pack n' play. This husband of mine is a gem, I tell you! A blessing from the Lord above, I'm so thankful.

"For You make him to be blessed and a blessing forever; You make him exceedingly glad with the joy of Your presence." Psalm 21: 6

1 comment:

  1. congrats on 7 hrs of sleep! I can't wait for that to happen to my girl too!!!

    ReplyDelete