November 1, 2012

Butternut Squash Bean Dip

Oh my.... goodness.

 

He did it again! Mr.Santiago was put to sleep by his wonderful padre and stayed in dreamland for over seven hours! Oh happy day, he sure does wake up quite joyfully these days.And check out his poofy, fluffy, baby-bird-like hair from the right-before-bed bath! We are in love, he is such a gift to be with.


Strangely enough, his wonderful sleep-filled night was followed by a sleep-filled day. Babies are silly! I was able to eat, and eat, and eat breakfast/morning snacks without a baby in my arms: apple, bananas, almonds, walnuts, coconut milk, an oat banana bar from the freezer, a kale drink... etc! And all the little monkey did was sleep in his Rock N' Play next to the dining room table. I have to admit, after he naps for anything more than 30 minutes, I start to miss him like crazy. I want to pick him up, snuggle, see his big eyes stare back at me, but it just makes it that much more special when he finally does wake up - and wakes up wanting mommy's fantastico milk, or just wanting to see some cheerful faces!


Another funny (new) thing in his life: the rattle. He can be a fussy mess, wanting everything and nothing all at the same time, yet the second I shake and rattle this piece of plastic in front of him his mood changes. This isn't fail-proof, however, so I won't call it magic, but it is fun to see him watch the toy, following it with his eyes, and, well, refusing to hold it with a grin on his face. He has held the rattle three times, once while he was screaming at me, and twice with grandma last night with the funniest frown on his face. He's a goof butt, we love him to bits.


For lunch/dinner hubby and I enjoyed a recipe from Angela over at Oh She Glows. Her recipes are always so, so simple and I tend to have all the ingedients in my kitchen, too. She uses really easy-to-find foods in her plant-based meals, and I seriously have not once been disappointed by her. This recipe, in my mind, is called, "oh snap I forgot there is a potluck at work tomorrow and I have nothing prepared since I am on maternity leave and forgot that a world exists outside of this livingroom what should I doooo ohh loook I have a butternut squash on the counter let's go to Oh She Glows and look up some October recipes or some Butternut Squash recipes and see what we can come up with in less than 2 hours!" since it was nighttime, I had very limited time - and we are half way through the week - so I am also low on produce. Joyfully, I found her Butternut Squash Bean Burrito recipe, called it a dip myself, and put it together.

My mom (ie: superwoman grandma) threw the butternut squash in the oven at 425* F (cut into four large pieces, seeded, placed flesh-side down in an inch of water in a glass baking dish, covered lightly with foil) and....RECIPE!
  • I sauteed garlic/onion
  • added cayenne pepper, chili powder and salt n' pepper.
  • Then an entire bell pepper (green)
  • cooked pinto beans were added
  • cooked brown rice was added
  • some water to prevent burning
  • then the cooked + cooled butternut squash (was added in chunks, some I mashed up.)

The flavor was out of this world delicious! I think it is because I used real garlic and onion, well, by "real" I just mean "fresh" since I never use fresh garlic or onion, besides green onion. My hubby isn't a fan of biting into chunks of either, cooked or raw, so I just stick with garlic and onion powder or the lighter-tasting green onion, in moderation. I topped the dish with avocado and used some of Mary's Gone Crackers for diping. SO delicious! Best part? I ended up not going to the work potluck -long story- so we have leftovers in the fridge for tomorrow. Woohoo!

Also a means of celebration? I got a hinkering for some cooking last night and boiled some tomatoes with garlic, blended them with onion and fresh basil, boiled that sauce, tossed in some whole wheat (cooked) spaghetti, let it simmer, added more fresh basil and Italian seasoning with salt n red pepper flakes, and we have more food waiting for us in the fridge. ALSO some leftover quinoa brown rice soup - this means I don't have to cook 'till the weekend. So awesome! It's hard planning meals around Santiago's schedule since he might want to eat right when I should be in the kitchen prepping the day's meal - so having food already prepared is a blessing. I'm so thankful for my mom and dad coming over each night, when they can, because it gives me a couple hours a day to prepare meals and lunches for hubby. Love, love. love.


For dessert we had the ususal - but only after I consumed 18 pounds of raisins, prunes, walnuts, some carrots, kiwi, a peanut ball from the freezer, more bananas, half a small watermelon and some more almonds.... seriously it's not the greatest thing to be in your house all day, because it means you are near your kitchen 24/7 - and food always sounds so good. At least I'm in zero hurry to drop this baby weight! It'll come in time - you know, when my insides aren't falling out of me and I can actually go for a jog for the first time! Do I sound bitter? Strange...


Oh, dessert! Banana blended with almond milk, walnuts, prunes and unsweetened cocoa powder. Topped with amaranth cereal, millet puffs, sprouted buckwheat (I sprout the raw stuff and dehydrate it 'till crispy), raisins and hemp hearts. Delicious, slightly runny chocolate lovin' - it isn't runny when you use frozen banana or when you let it freeze longer post-blend, but I didn't feel like cutting up a frozen nanner aaaand we didn't let the smoothie freeze long enough - so we get chocolate soup. So ah-mazing.

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:13-16

1 comment:

  1. oh another 7 hrs sleep, .congrats!!! I also miss my her when she sleeps, isn't that so storage? having them ith you but miss them at the same time?
    love that pic of Santiago sleeping besides the Bobby, so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete