November 5, 2012

Dinosaur Feet

Sunday was beautiful. With a small baby in your life, each day tends to be that way, though. Even if you both spend the day crying. Thankfully, this wasn't one of those days. It was, however, a day of:


Dinosaur feet. 
A friend of mine from Elementary school (whaaa?! it's such a blessing to have people in my life for so long. such. a. huge. blessing.) gifted Santi with this amazing socks. They were, of course, 20 sizes too big when she visited him a few weeks ago. Yet now I am afraid he only has a few weeks left until they are too small. Our boy is growing at rapid speeds. I mean, just look at how snug as a bug (thanks, mom) he looks in the 6-month-sized tiger onesie in the last picture. Pure madness. Although I will admit that both Eduardo and I are having way too much fun putting all his newborn up to three-month sized clothes away and pulling out the big-boy attire. It's like Christmas in a box - we haven't seen these outfits since baby shower days! Anyhow, the dino socks just about killed us (in that good, why-the-heck-do-we-use-that-phrase-so-positively?? way...) we love them so much. You can't help but laugh when you see them on a 7 week old baby, I've gotta say. He'll understand how cool these looked on him someday!

An extra hour with baby. 
Eduardo woke up before me since Santi decided to have a lot of back-to-back feedings after a good 6 hour stretch of sleep and I must have been exhausted (strange!) and he offered to pick up the babe when he woke. After a diaper change, he lied him down on a pillow between us and was happily having papa + son time. Minutes passed before I realized Santiago was wide awake and completely calm, staring at his papa and looking around the room. With my eyes closed, "sleeping", I had just assumed he had gone back to sleep on Edu's chest - so when I rolled over and opened my eyes I was surprised and so excited to have snuggling time with a content little boy! I took in every minute of it, he's just way too cute to not stare at - so we spent our extra hour, thank you Daylight Savings, smiling at our baby and putting life on pause. It was fantastic.

Mini-photoshoot.
We purchased a fancy-pants camera this year and have loved taking pictures with it - I swear these cameras make anyone seem like a professional photographer. Every time we preview a snapshot we just took, we always say, "wowwww" or "oh my goshh" or "look at that" or "amazing" or "that's beautiful" or "here, take one of me I want to see it", because they look that good. It's a shame the camera doesn't fit in my pocket, or I'd use it for everything: food on the go, squirrels on the go, that weird-looking building on that-one-street. For now, I use my iPhone to take quick pictures and the Nikon (D7000 with a 35mm lens) for mini-photoshoots, and big photoshoots, too!

Daddy Bjorn (carrier)
The first time Eduardo put on the Moby wrap, he was very happy. You see, as a new papa he wasn't quite sure how to hold this tiny baby in his arms. "Am I supporting his head correctly? Why is he crying, is he uncomfortable? Can you help me adjust his arms? Am I doing this right?" were some of the many questions and concerns he had while carrying little Santi. After much practice, he has become very comfortable holding our chubby boy, and even has his own ways of holding him while he sways him to sleep. Yet sometimes, I'm in the kitchen prepping a meal and Edu has some computer work to do - two things that can be put on hold to tend to a baby, but don't have to be. In comes the baby carriers. Santiago loves to be held, enjoys watching the world around him, but is not a fan of a sedentary life. He wants to move - and I blame a very active pregnancy. I danced far too much, wiggled, jiggled, jumped, hopped, ran, jogged, and walked a lot of hills. It's no wonder the little man doesn't care for sitting in a chair, staring at the wall! So the fact that papa can put him in the Bjorn carrier - facing outwards to observe life - is such a gem! I'm so thankful for my friend, Janae, who handed this Bjorn-fella down to us, it's been lovely.

Waffles.
From a girl named Jessica, who once had a blog called Healthy Exposures, that retired and moved on to bigger and better things. I wish I could link this to her, she deserves all the credit! Here's the recipe, all re-typed and posted in my blog (just omit the cocoa powder for these guys, if you choose!). Still, though, all the applause to Jess, not meee. Topped with almond butter, fig jam, shredded coconut and frozen cherries. Oh yes, we did. Frozen fruit on top of warm waffles is incredible, they partially melt but are still ice-cream textured somewhere in the middle. We are fans.

Smoothies.
2 bananas, 1 1/2 cups water, 1 cup pineapple, 2 oranges. Blend! Serves two, but no one is judging you if you drink the whole thing yourself - I would have but my spouse wanted some, too.

Entertaining rattles.
We found a diversion for when Santiago turns into fussy-pants in the car! As long as he has a back-seat passenger, this does wonders (I don't recommend the driver shake a rattle while trying to steer). Directions: talk to baby, laugh with baby, sing to baby, take pictures of baby. Once you hear the first fuss, shake the rattle. Once you see the first sign of sleepiness, as long as he/she is well fed, start to say, "shhh", quietly, while shaking the rattle at a steady rhythm. They will fall asleep soon. Or, if they are simply bored of watching trees and buildings go by through the back window, they will be highly entertained by the rattle's shakes, colors and moving balls, and you will stimulate their brains. You're welcome.

Green smoothies.
The classic (I know, they get boring to look at, but that's your fault for following a food blog, okay? Besides, this "food blog" has turned into quite the baby blog, wouldn't you say? So let the green-juice-every-single-day slide, it isn't harming anyone) - kale (3-5 leaves), 1 orange, 1/2 lemon, 1 banana, 1/2" knob of ginger, water, 1/2 cup pineapple chunks. We love it between meals, usually as I start Sunday's pizza, or in this case lentil burgers, I will blend this guy up so we can slurp while waiting for the big grub. Green smoothies are rad. We don't juice, because we don't have a juicer, and wouldn't purchase one anyhow since we prefer to blend. The end.

Lentil Burgers.
Recipe here, fellow lentil-burger lovies.

A 6-month-old onesie.
It's true. I think we can blame breast milk, an eat-round-the-clock-cause-we-don't-feel-the-need-to-put-him-on-a-schedule-yet-even-though-we-probably-should baby, and Bum Genius' huge diapers. Bulky mania! We're not complaining. This tiger onesie caused me to go into a Spanish tongue-twister frenzy all morning, "tres tristes tigres...", three sad tigers... and I don't know the rest. Neither does my spouse, who is from Mexico, mind you. So I made it up by trying to think of all the Spanish words I could think of that begin with the letter T. Here's what I came up with, after talking to Santiago about it all morning: "tres tristes tigres trotaron al tiangues por un taco de tripa", meaning: "three sad tigers jogged to the farmer's market for some cow's stomach tacos". I know, I'm nasty. but not to everyone, thousands of people like their tripe tacos! And I threw farmer's market in there, because a tianguis in Spanish is like a huge produce stand the size of a villiage. Think: where Costco would go to buy all their produce. They're aaamaaazinnngg.













Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good. His love endures forever.

For whatever was written was given to us for our learning, that through patience and comfort of the scriptures we might have hope. (Romans 15:4)

1 comment:

  1. those socks are soooooooo cute!!! you are a good mama feeding him around the clock, don't know if I can do this. Sometimes she eats every 1.5-2 hrs and i already feel I'm a feeding machine! :)

    ReplyDelete