November 9, 2012

Grandma Day (x2)

Hello Thursday's recap!

"Look at the super, super cute outfit I pooped all over today! Yep, I covered my entire pant leg, my sock, and the onesie! Jealous? Oh and I don't fit into those pants anymore, and they are for 3-month old babies - Hooray!"


We started off the day with a few trips planned, one was a visit to the daycare I used to work at - I was there for three years and made amazing friends, many of whom no longer work there but still a small handful that do. I really wanted to bring Santi to say hello since it was the job that made me fall in love with toddlers and babies alike. We planned on kind of scheduling a feeding in order to leave the casa at a certain time and have ourselves a happy baby. Unfortunately, the milk meal took place at the best time, but something came up in daycare land so we skipped the trip.


Instead, we headed over to grandma Pam's workplace, which just so happens to be my workplace and Santiago's pediatrician's home! Well, their workplace, too. It was so much fun sharing baby with all the lovely ladies that work there (let's be honest, the male docs don't really have time or a huge desire to hold the receptionist's baby boy, just sayin'!) and a huge handful of them held the heavy boy as he slept. Lunch was courtesy of my mom + Chipotle: romaine, beans, rice, guac, corn salsa, pico de gallo, grilled bell pepper and onion. In other words? The greatest meal you can find outside of your own home in this entire world for under $7!

That was essentially all he did there: sleep. But first he had to go over the basics, which included pooping while being held by a fellow receptionist we ran into in the hallway, blowing out through his cloth diaper, down his fleece-pant-covered leg, onto mommy's Fall, knitted dress, and all over grandma's hands, as well as screaming a tad - demanding milk, and receiving a toy monkey from a lovely co-worker who works in the lab. Then, and only then, did he sleep. For a bazillion hours (or 1). Then he cried in the car for a bit and I fed him once we were home. Grandma loved holding him during her lunch hour. She can never get enough of her Santi boy and he can never get enough of his gma! Seriously, she's a joy in his life, he smiled at her before he smiled at anyone else a few weeks ago, and she simply has the grandma's touch: full of love, comfort + baby joy.



Dinner was quinoa-egg stir-fry for hubby, and I ate the rest of the quinoa with Liquid Aminos, red pepper flakes and Kelp granules - seaweed goodness! With toasted Nori (seaweed) and avocado. I love tearing the nori and filling it with warm quinoa and the creamy avocado - it's like instant sushi in my mouth. So, so good and simple! On the side I had leftover cocoa coconut chili with more avocado. Yummy business, brothers and sisters.


Then we waited for nightfall and my parents picked us up to head over to great grandma's house for her 78th birthday dinner! I wasn't planning on going, since I'm not a fan of restaurant food (I just enjoy the kitchen way too much), but I realized this is my grandma's birthday, Santiago's great grandma's birthday, and I know she would appreciate seeing her great grandson on her special day! We first stopped by the store to purchase some flowers and a few cards to make grandmama feel loved and showered with simple gifts. Santiago cried when my parents picked us up since it was his I'm-fussy-put-me-to-sleep-or-I-will-scream time, but calmed down once the truck moved. He loves being in a moving vehicle of any type when he is tired since it tends to put him to sleep. So when my papa stopped at the store, he started crying. We decided it would be best to take him out (still in his car seat) and put him in a shopping cart to sooth the tired bug. Worked like a gem! He stared at both of us as we moved around the store and soon fell asleep.



Once we picked up gma and arrived at the restaurant, he was still sleeping soundly. I ordered a small spinach salad (which I ended up giving away since I forgot to ask for a no cheezy business) with a fab dill vinaigrette - oh my gosh dill so goooood, and my mom gave me some of her angel-hair pasta tossed with veg n' marinara sauce. I love me a mom with a small tummy/appetite - I ended up being handed the rest of her plate after she ate most of the veggies and some of the pasta, and it was a delicious plate! Santi started moving a bit in his carseat so I fed him before screaming took place and then he was a joy to watch. Seriously - all he did was stare around at everyone and even gave his great (birthday) grandma a few smiles! It was so sweet to see her grin at him as she held the 50lb-8 week old (ha - exaggeration, don't worry).

 

It was a happy night. I'm so glad we met up with some of the family for dinner to celebrate grandma's birthday, and spending the middle of the day with my mom was awesome! It feels great to get out of the house, even if it means running around like crazy once we arrive back home in order to make up for lost at-home time. Yay for breastfeeding on-the-go and the existence of diaper bags. We also both love coming home to Eduardo, who fills Santi and mommy with kisses and hugs, and forgives us for taking papa-son time away from his evening!

Guess what? It's the weekend.

Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 1:26-30

2 comments:

  1. he's such a boy already, look at him at the first pic, he's really looking into you.

    wooo, you worked a daycare. no wonder Santi is doing so well with his mama.

    I need to learn how to be outside if the house for more than 3 hrs, and much more how dine out with the baby? maybe with a nursing cover and nurse her all the way through? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes nursing cover! I just wait for the first sign of hunger, for Santi it's extra body movement and small noises, then I pop him right on the breast before he fusses at all. If he is awake, I try to keep him entertained by bouncing him on my leg and talking with him a lot.

      So far....two successful restaurant experiences! For outtings, I feed him often, each time we stop between stores and I make sure his diaper is clean so he's a happy baby throughout the day!

      Delete