December 19, 2012

Operation: 3 Vegan Meals in 1 Hour

I have to just say it again: I love when this kiddo God blessed us with naps - he is such a happy head when he rests! Eat, Sleep app from iPhone. It's simple, free, and I only use it to track his naps. If this child doesn't get his 3-4 naps a day lasting at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours, we got a grump on our hands. This little tracking system helps me know: "it is time" when I'm not sure what is going on with my crying sweet pea of a son. Thank you, technology.

 

We woke up to a neighborhood full of snow - so I, naturally, had a photoshoot with the deck and my morning green smoothie. How else would I spend the first snow day of the season? Oh, and I brainstormed how I would take Santiago's first snow-day photos, but that part didn't go as smoothly. You see, by the time he was awake, fed, clean, and ready for playtime, it had gone from a crisp, beautiful snow day to a wet, rainy, slushy snow day. The moment I sat him in his baby seat on the deck - the rain fell, and it fell hard right on his face. Not good for a three month old baby who is just showing signs of congestion and extra-mucus nonsense! Needless to say, the chaos lasted less than 2 minutes, and we were back inside the warm, dry, toasty house before we knew it. Yipee!




The day also consisted of: lots of tummy time, zucchini "noodles", homemade pasta sauce (organic tomato puree, fresh basil, onion, garlic, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes - it's absolutely amazing! we use it for pizza sauce, as well), edamame with pepper and pepper flakes (wuv spice), fun play time with grandma and grandpa later into the evening....








 

Then, at around 6:00pm, with ma and pa here, I realized I needed to take the opportunity to do some cooking! Once I return back to work (God willing), I will try and go back to my cook-Sundays-and-Tuesdays routine - where I do all the food prep for the next day's lunches and dinners. So, a little practice is going to help, I mean, I've been out of the swing of things for almost four months! Looney bins, that's a long time. It was pretty fantastic, I must say, because out of all the running around the kitchen that I (felt like I) did, I took less than an hour to prepare three meals - all 2+ servings, so we will have meals until Saturday! That's how you do it, friends. It makes your life so much easier when you don't have to (but are free to) cook every. single. night. Woohoo time for play! It's such a blessing to work with all the incredible produce God has created, and have fun with it. I'm thankful for plants. The end!

On the menu

*homemade salt-free vegetable stock (a friend told me that when she is out of veg stock she simply throws everything into a blender with water - genius!) made with onion, celery, carrots, fresh rosemary, fresh basil, dried thyme, red pepper flakes, pepper, and water. Poured into baggies and frozen for future soup use! It's a gem!


*Also, a cheese sauce from Oh She Glows made with almond milk, nutritional yeast, paprika, garlic, onion, ground flaxseed, coconut oil and water - I then dry-sauteed ripped up pieces of tempeh (fermented soy - texture is exactly like a tender chicken, for reals! Don't knock it until you try it - and try it well-prepared, not raw/unseasoned/unhappy - gross, man!) and my mom diced green bell pepper for me to add to the dish - hooray!



*Next, a spicy lentil and brown rice stew. Water-saute dried red peppers (the skinny, long guys, found in the Mexican food aisle!) until tender, then blend with some homemade veggie stock and water, pour into the pot again, throw in your uncooked lentils and brown rice (or any bean/grain would do!) and let it simmer beautifully for a good 30+ minutes. I think I left mine simmering for over an hour, just to make sure everything was cooked. Add water as needed. Spicy goodness in my belly! This dish 100% inspired by my mommy-in-law, Isabel, who sautees them red chilis and blends 'em up for pozole! Okay, so, all the ladies do it that way, but I saw her do it first, so there.



*Lastly, a sweet n' sour veggie mix over quinoa. Bell pepper, celery, pineapple, red cabbage, serrano chili pepper, and a sweet/sour sauce inspired by Dreena Burton's recipe from her book, Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: apple cider vinegar, sweetened ketchup, habanero hot sauce, blackstrap molasses, water and... I think that's all. Maybe a little bit of Bragg's Liquid Aminos (a soy sauce of sorts) and I nixed the addition of any added-salt. It tastes so good, but waayyy spicy, so much so that I'm sure my nose will be running tomorrow while I eat it!


And now we sleep. Goodnight, moon.

2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

1 comment:

  1. glad to know that Santi is a nap pro now, it's so much easier this way, isn't it?

    great meals you've prepared, I've been slacking into cooking lately, need to get back.

    enjoy the last few days at home with Santi! :)

    ReplyDelete