January 30, 2013

Bible Time While Baby Sleeps

One would think that being a part time stay at home mom includes a whole lot of free time. I mean, babies sleep quite often, I'm not working an 8-hour shift outside of this roof I'm under, and I can sleep in as long as I want to - right? Hmph. Okay, maybe I'm the only one who -used to- think that SAHM's of the world had loads of free time. We don't. I've come to realize this as a fact, and embrace its reality. Here's the thing: if you want to get something done, you have to do it before baby wakes up in the morning.



For some mommies, this isn't as simple as setting the alarm clock for 6:00am. For me, this is the case. Our Santi sleeps in 'till either 7:30am or 8:30am, always awake for the day before 9:00am. If he wakes in the early seven o' clock hour, his first nap naturally takes hold of his body around nine o' clock, and it's as if the nighttime was extended because he can be out for up to an hour and a half, while it still feels like the day hasn't fully commenced. With this almost consistent schedule, I found I needed to wake up around 6am if I wanted to get some time with Jesus in the day - at the start of the day - as well as bible time, exercise time, and blogging.

Recently, though, I have been given the responsibility of working from home on my not-going-into-the-office days. Working from home is again, something I had a very weird idea of. I picture someone sitting at their at-home desk and typing away, answering phone calls, for 8 hours in the day. Maybe their children are playing during these hours, sleeping, eating... and mom or dad is typing away, eyes glued to a computer screen. Eight hours in a day? Of course! Of course not. I average not-so-many-hours a day... adding up a morning nap (1-2 hours) an afternoon nap = cooking time, and evening visit from grandparents = adult time, hubby's arrival from work = bedtime routine time. Once Santi is sleeping "for the night" (he usually wakes 1-3 times after we put him in his crib and we hold him to sleep), his papa and I dine on nighttime smoothies with muesli and buckwheat, and shortly after, call it a night. Did you see how many hours I worked up to on the computer? A pity, I know.



Yet, God provides. He provides us with enough time in our day to -manage wisely- and give to Him. I'm able to feed Santi during the early hours of the morning, which can be anywhere from a 3am meal to a 5am meal, then walk myself to the kitchen for a banana to wake me up, time in God's great Word, and then I go from there. I really amd feeling such a closer relationship to Christ, and love being filled with His scripture each morning. I'm working on trying to memorize verses throughout the day, even if it's one specific verse that I keep referring to throughout the day. I am filled with hope when I dive into the Bible, I am motivated and inspired to fight hard to live a life for Christ and share what He has done on my walk with Him.

And with each verse I read, each morning I am able to spend listening to His teachings, I am in awe of how much love He has for every person He created. In awe of how much He gives when we hardly give anything back in return. In awe of His blessings, poured out before us, in trial or in tribulation, in the good and the bad times, He is always loving us and reminding us of the never-ending source of help that He is in our lives. I thank Him for His blessings, for the gift of Santi in our lives, for placing him in our hands so that we can praise the Lord's good name and see the miracle of life that He forms in a woman - some 490,000 babies a day! He is good, He is powerful, He is everything. So even though I'm a sleepy head and don't always want to rise out of my bed before our baby boy does, it makes for a happier mama, which in turn makes for a happier almost-five-month old.


But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul. Deuteronomy 4:29

No comments:

Post a Comment