January 2, 2013

Blended Salads

Dr. Fuhrman refers to what us bloggers like to call, "green monsters" as, "blended salads" - and I have to admit, a blended salad sounds a lot less appetizing than a green monster does. I imagine the taste of said "blended salads" to be a lot like those cheap, lifeless salads in elementary school. You know, the ones that are only edible when the ratio of iceberg lettuce to ranch is very high in ranch and low in iceberg. I can sense it would consist of 1 head of iceberg lettuce, 2 itty-bitty shredded carrot pieces, a random, defrosted piece of radicchio, and luke-warm water. I don't know, I guess I've just gotten used to the sound, taste, and look of a Green Monster. Maybe that's just me.


Anyhow, the other week I purchased a few heads of romaine to mix things up in our greens department - and guess what I gone and done? Put it in a blender! I'm definitely more of a dark leafy greens in my smoothies kind of lady, so is my hubs, but romaine came to mind and into the Blendtec it went. Guess what? It wasn't half bad. Guess what else? It changed the flavor and consistency of our usual blended green smoothie completely! In a good way, mind you. I just thought that kale would be louder and stronger in a drink than it's lighter friend, romaine. Looks like my taste buds just need a little training with different leafy vegetables - or, in Joel Fuhrman's case, blended salads.



The Recipe
romaine, about 3 medium-sized leaves
broccoli, 5-8 florets
golden beets, 1 small beet, peeled and chopped
orange, 1 medium, peeled
lemon, one half, peeled
pineapple bits, 1 cup
banana, 1 peeled
dates, 2, pitted -optional-
water, 8 oz
ice, a few cubes



Now it's your turn. Go throw some greens in a blender, and grab yourself a straw.

Who is like You among the gods, O LORD? Who is like You, majestic in holiness, awesome in praises, working wonders? Exodus 15:11

1 comment: