January 20, 2013

Exercising - 4 Months Postpartum

Now that I'm constantly on an (enjoyed) time crunch, I have been waking up before the babe to get my daily workouts in. I seem to be craving a good stretch n' tone as well as am hoping to re-build the muscle I slowly lost while pregnant and less keen to weight lifting. I still don't have the O.K. from my physical therapist for weight lifting (re: pelvic floor = weak) or running, elliptical, jumping, jogging, hopping, stair climbing, cross fit - zero, nada, zilch. Thus comes: the exercise bike (living happily and almost untouched in our garage) and YouTube workout videos.


Here are my favorite workouts that I am able to do in my bedroom at 7:00am while Santi sleeps like a sweet, baby sheep! That, or he is lying down on the yoga mat in front of me and watching me as I plank over his chubby belly, trying to give him a kiss as I do a push up. Hello, Tara Stiles, nice to meet you. Can I downward facing dog with you as my guide? Thank you kindly. Oh, the purelytwins! Been following those girls' blog for a couple years now, and had never ever done one of their plank workouts. They are short (under 10 minutes) and killer - I usually yell, "nooo!" to the phone at least 4 times each workout, and they're pelvic floor/abdominal repair time friendly! Check them out on YouTube, they're lovely!


Please talk to your doctor or midwife before embarking on this journey that is postpartum exercising. Don't just do what I do and then hurt yourself or your insides. I am not to blame. The internet and the art of self diagnosing are to blame!

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Simply love your body, even if you can't squeeze in any sort of exercise! God made your body and only asks that you take care of it - He doesn't call us to do plank, yoga, run, swim, or do Zumba.

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

No comments:

Post a Comment