January 23, 2013

Green Sludge for Breakfast

After finishing the book, Eat to Live, and loving every word of its pages, I have been striving to eat loads and loads of green leafy goodness on a daily basis. This is easy when you throw a few handfuls in a blender with fruit and call it a snack, but I wanted to take it a step further. With a little (okay, a lot) of inspiration from Carrie over at Carrie on Vegan, I have come to this green madness that I call breakfast smoothie delight, middle of the day salad bigger than my face, and evening greens with chocolate - or something along those lines.


Also, a friend recommended the movie, Hungry for Change (on Netflix!), also very much enjoyed, and I felt motivated to add even more leafy greens into my belly. Which brings me to: cilantro and parsley! You can read all about how incredibly good for you they are on numerous websites, I just eat them 'cause they're wonderful tasting and make our bodies happy inside (and out).


My mommy-in-law in Mexico always uses parsley in her smoothies. Pineapple, apple, parsley and water - as simple as that! The great part about morning, or any time of the day, parsley drinks and seasoned foods is that the great leaf leaves your breath smelling great, and burping isn't too shabby, either. Here is the parsley smoothie I found:

1 handful of parsley, with stems (1-2 cups)
1 celery stalk
1 kiwi
1 banana
1 cup greens (I used collard greens)
ice
8 oz water

It was extremely refreshing, filling and delicious! Definitely going to make it into the weekly round of smoothie recipes, I'm excited to share it with my hubs, too.


Cilantro, on the other hand, has always gone with tacos in my mind. So when I found a recipe for a cilantro smoothie, I was a little nervous. Even more so when it called for avocado, which I like in a savory, not sweet, way and tropical fruit (papaya, mango, or a peach) which I didn't have on hand so I was forced to improvise. Here's what went into the cilantro smoothie:

1/2 bunch of cilantro (medium-sized bunch)
2 celery stalks
1/2 avocado
2 bananas
1 apple
water

It was actually really, really good. My dad said, "tastes like grass", mom said, "..." but didn't hate it, hubby said, "cilantro is for tacos" and my taste buds said, "give us another taste, we're not sure yet" throughout the entire 20+ oz of smoothie. I loved the creaminess that avocado added, and the sweet banana of course, but man - I don't think I'll make it again, I am going to try to find a stellar cilantro smoothie for the future, though! I just can't get through enough cilantro on tacos alone before the bunch of pretty greens go bad, so I need a smoothie recipe to eat this herb up!


Brown green smoothie. How appetizing! A tip for keeping your green smoothies fresh for later-in-the-day consumption: self-sealing Mason jars. We grabbed a 12 pack at the grocery store and love them! They do just what their name implies: self seal, making the juice inside stay fresh and yummy tasting throughout the day. I have found, however, that overnight storage isn't that great, and makes the greens go bitter. Drinking right after blending is recommended! So fresh n' so clean clean. Happy blending!

(future consumer of green smoothies, for sure.)

1 comment:

  1. I loved this! Thank you and am going to try these for sure! I will be on the hunt for a cilantro one to because the truth is, your right! I buy a bunch for a meal and need to use the rest or i throw it out.

    ReplyDelete