January 31, 2013

Walking Before 5 Months?

I remember the first time my mom stood Santi up and said, "big boy!" - I immediately heard the voice of some looney-bin magazine writer, "if you stand a baby up too early their legs will get twisted forever!" so I wasn't completely into it  - until I tried it myself. Of course, my instincts told me that was just another opinion and I came to my senses, this baby is gonna stand one of these days, and there is no harm in showing him what his legs are capable of! Shaking... wobbling... you can do it, Santi boy!

 
Building leg muscle in babies is fun, it is not as if we are attaching him to sticks, forcing him to stand, and not going to bed until he takes his first 10 steps. At his four month check up, his pediatrician stood him right up to check his leg strength - and voila! Standing baby, he has become. He now stands for long periods of time, while we hold his hands or lean him against our legs while we're standing. To imagine this guy standing, crawling, even sitting up on his own before he takes his first steps is --- madness! Remember when we had a newborn baby but he was only a newborn for about 4 hours and then he turned into a toddler? Remember that? I do.




That being said, he isn't walking quite yet. But I won't be surprised if I walk into his room one of these mornings and he is outside of the crib, sitting on the rocking chair, reading himself a book and drinking some coconut water. He probably does that when we're sleeping. I bet he laughs at us inside while we "pretend walk" him around the house, up the stairs and stand him on the kitchen counter. "Silly rabbits, they have no idea..." he thinks. Oh, the memories of watching baby's every thought come to life in "Look Who's Talking"  - make a version of this staring yours truly, Santiago James, potential movie star? Ohh if only I had the time!


That you may fear the Lord your God, you and your son and your son's son, by keeping all His statutes and His commandments, which I command you, all the days of your life, and that your days may be long. Deuteronomy 6:2

1 comment:

  1. What a strong baby! Looks like he will be walking soon :)

    ReplyDelete