February 28, 2013

Four Smoothies in-a-day

You know the (exciting) feeling, when there is not a whole lot food in the fridge except for fruit and greens and you realize how much this could really, easily, work for you. You have a full day tomorrow at your job, and maybe using a microwave or a fork just isn't an option you care to have. Maybe you hope to bring a few straws, or take from the employee lunch room random straw stash.


Well. I know the feeling. So after 6:45pm or so, I emptied this ol' fridge of its belongings and made some new-ish creations. It was a good evening, a good one indeed. Feel free to add less water to each recipe for a thicker smoothie, or more water to thin in out. Also, I always add about 5 ice cubes because I love my smoothies super cold!

Smoothie #1


Fruity Collard Greens
1 banana
1 apple
1 kiwi, peeled
1 pear
4-5 collard green leaves, stems removed and discarded
1-2 cups water
Ice

Oh darling, that is a good one. Moving quickly onto...

Smoothie #2
 

Beet n' Orange
1 orange, peeled
1/4 cup coconut, shredded + unsweetened
1/2 cup beets, raw, peeled and cut into little cubes
1-2 cups coconut water or water
Ice

Smoothie #3



Coconutty Pineapple
1 + 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into cubes
1-2 cups kale, stems removed and torn into pieces (about 4-5 large leaves)
1/4 cup coconut, shredded unsweetened
1 tbsp chia gel (chia seeds soaked in water)

Smoothie #4:
 

Banana Greens
2 bananas
1 orange, peeled
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
4 kale leaves, stems removed
1 cup almond milk

Hey, notes: feel free to use ANY green. I fancy beet greens, spinach, kale and collard greens. I sometimes use romaine but it has a distinct flavor that I prefer in salads. Also, any nut milk can be used but we always buy almond milk. I have also soaked almonds overnight in water and blended those up with water in the smoothie with success! Also, you can soak a grain overnight and blend it in these bad boys to make them more filling. I use steel cut oats, soaked in water or nut milk overnight, buckwheat, soaked in water then rinsed and drained, and sprouted quinoa. Love 'em all! The raw, sprouted quinoa has a strong nutty flavor, though, that has messed with my mind while drinking super sweet, citrus smoothies. So I haven't used it as often as I would like. Will continue to experiment!


And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, (Hebrews 10:24 ESV)

I need to remember this verse so, so often. How to stir up, or motivate one another while living on this earth, to love and good works. Instead of being a grumpy head, which inevitably makes those around me into grumpy heads, why don't I break that so-easy-to-fall-into trap and cast my frustrations to God, leave it in His hands, and share joy with those around me? If someone is talking about another person, and I'm in temptation mania, about to open my mouth and add in my "2 cents" of there's-no-point-to-this talk, I need to roll that conversation around to love. Otherwise, who will? Love. Love. Love. Speak it, think it, breathe it - all to the glory of God, not to the glory of me. So that those I know would be caused to think of their Creator, to think of life after this one, to be led to ask questions, to, if it be God's will, find their Savior! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment