February 24, 2013

Minty Pineapple Banana Smoothie

Pineapple. Pre-soaked chia seeds. Sprouted, dehydrated buckwheat. Massive potassium (massive bananas) and kale. Peppermint, ice cubes... it was such a great idea (original recipe here). Yet it went (I have to use the same adjective...) massively wrong. You see, when a recipe calls for a handful of fresh mint leaves, it is for a reason. It isn't a suggestion, it shouldn't be substituted for nonsense, and if you do decide to mess with that special ingredient, only bad things will follow. Bad things followed. They followed me for about 10 minutes of slurping green smoothie through a straw.


I thought, hey, I'll use some of this peppermint extract I bought oh-so-long-ago to make some raw thin mints from Purely Twins' website. I mean, the little jar cost about $4,000, so shouldn't it be put to good use? Hey, wait, I said as I reached for the little bottle, this says, "peppermint flavor" while the vanilla sitting next to it says, "vanilla extract" - why do those nouns seem so, so different? Because they are. Extract = real. Flavor = science. Le sigh, you see where I am going with this? It gets worse. I flip the little guy over and read the ingredients (that, mind you, should simply say "peppermint flavoring" or something, no? No.

Peppermint Flavor
Ingredients: Sunflower oil, peppermint oil

Do you know what that means? To me, it means the jar could be 99% sunflower oil and 1% peppermint oil. Because companies are allowed to do that to their customers and they often do. It's the reason I, when looking for quinoa pasta, never bought any boxes of it. The ingredients usually read something like this: corn flour, quinoa flour, water. The first ingredient listed is always the "more of" in the product. Example: this smoothie would read banana before chia seeds, since there were 2 entire bananas and just a tablespoon of soaked chia seeds. You catch my drift?

Peppermint oil is gross in smoothies. I'm disappointed. I need mint leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment